Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory Leaf miners

Posted by joyce58 Zone 5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 10:31

My gorgeous morning glories definitely have leaf miners...I can see the damage and the feces and even squished a "worm"....I have been picking off the infected leaves but each day there appears to be more. I have sprayed with insecticidal soap but am hoping for some non- toxic ideas for keeping plants green and going since the blooms have been so lovely.
Thanks!
Joyce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory Leaf miners

hey joyce.. its FALL!!!

the first frost in z5.. will take care of them quick enough ... within a month or so ...

i wouldnt go spending much time nor sprays on trying to solve the problem..

with the hard summer.. mine have just peaked.. i am surprised you can even see the leaves ...

ignore them.. the dead rotting mass will be in the garbage or compost pile soon enough..

ken

ps: insecticidal soap is topical .. what effect will it have inside the leaf???? .. [its like saying you have a sinus infection.. so you are going to wash your nose] ... unless i am mistaken .... and it has systemic abilities .. if so ... someone will correct me ...

o
RE: Morning Glory Leaf miners

Once those larva are inside the leaf they are quite well protected from any insecticide. Insecticidal Soap might, if it hits the adults, be effective as a control of the adults but does nothing to the larva that are the leaf miners. Seldom do these really do significant damage to the leaf, it is mostly cosmetic. There are some systemics that might control these buggers but they can also do harm to beneficial insects.
Pesticide use to control these is pretty much limited to when the adults begin laying the eggs that will become the leaf miners.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Leaf Miners

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here