Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this on my potting soil?

Posted by cardarlin 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 10:32

I recently moved my palms from an eastern window to a southern window. I admit that the potting soil I used when I divided them up wasn't the greatest but its sufficient. I went about watering my palms today and I've noticed this.

Is this a pest larvae of some sort or is this just part of the potting soil mix or something else growing in it?

Here is a link that might be useful: What is that Yellow stuff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this on my potting soil?

What yellow stuff?

o

Did you look at the picture? Theres yellow clumps. I was just wondering if this is anything to be concerned about. They weren't there before. I wonder if its a by product of cheap potting soil.

o

Tough to make out but perhaps effloresce from fertilizer?

tj

o

That yellow stuff is minerals in your patting soil reacting to fertilizer or your water--it poses no threat

o

Looks tan-brown to me. It will break down if sprayed with water. It's nothing to worry about.

o

What kind of potting mix did you use and what are the ingredients?

It looks like it is one of those mixes with compost in it?

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here