Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joflo723_gw

What would cause sweet peppers to rot ON the vine??

joflo723
10 years ago

Weird thing I've never seen before. My peppers look like they are getting rotten spots before they've been picked. Or could they be burns? I don't know what would be causing this. It's only on one plant so far. Any ideas?

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Sunscald, Damage from extra bright sunlight directly on the walls. A reason to make certain you have good leafy cover.

If the damage is relatively minor -- that tis, doesn't penetrate deeply into the wall -- the damaged area may dry and not extend into the rest of the pepper.

If the damage extends through the wall, or nearly so, the softened tissue is an easy place for secondary rot organisms to enter.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

jean said wall .. which made me think about the sun reflecting off a wall ... leading me to CULTURAL ISSUES...

which means.. why this one plant????

what can you define.. in its specific placement.. that these would burn???

is there a wall ... a sidewalk... etc .. perhaps a pic of the area.. and we can SEE what is going on ....

and yes.. i know she what she meant ... but i changed the subject

ken

• joflo723
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both.

After looking into sunscald, that is exactly what it looks like. This is an 8 x 8 raised bed on the side of my yard, but nothing reflecting on it. I think the reason that it happened on this one plant is because these two popped up at the very top of the plant, which has less leaf cover than the lower sections.

The scalded areas aren't (yet) too extensive, but I went ahead and cut these two, cut them open, discarded the bad parts. Everything inside looks and smells good.

Thanks for your help! Glad to know it's not a fungus or blossom end rot (which is what I was dreading).

10 years ago

no window on the house reflecting sun???

you are giving up rather easily.. Sherlock holmes you arent.. lol ...

maybe this is what happens in z9 ... but in my world.. plain old sunshine is not a reason ... unless they simply dont grow peppers that far south ... are you really pushing the southern boundaries of the pepper plant?????

not to mention.. the sun has been declining for months.. who would expect it in mid September..

but again.. i grow MI ... so what do i know...

good luck

ken

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Bright sunshine after a series of cloudy days can do it, and that's without reflecting off a bright surface.

10 years ago

i presumed as much ...

but i am a fan of mysteries... hence the SHolmes reference ....

i like to spend my time in the garden.. figuring things out ...

but sometimes... the simplest answer is the only answer ...

ken

ps: its so bad.. the mystery thing.. that i spend my time.. trying to figure out total stranger mysteries.. lol ...

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH