Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlightbotanist

Possible fungus,phlox paniculata, bright eyes

Starlight Botanist
10 years ago

Hey guys, i noticed these black dots on the new growth on our P. paniculata last week. I cut off the new shoot, and dusted the plant and soil with cinnamon.

Today I noticed some more new growth(growning from existing branches instead of from the soil) that have the same look about them. Also old leaves are turning yellow below.

Comments (5)

• Starlight Botanist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New growth today

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

your bio suggests you are growing these indoors????

how do you LEAP to fungus or disease...

these are blistering full sun plants.. how much sun are you lacking ?????

why did you cut off the shoots last week????

and we dont treat things.. even with cinnamon.. until we perfect the ID of the issue... obviously.. if its a sunlight.. or september issue... then you wasted a product.. which could have been used on your oatmeal ....

in the northern hemisphere.. things are going into decline.. as the sun declines... and it is speeded up.. if your sunlight come thru windows....

basically the same issue if you are working on a wrong direction facing balcony ... cold night wont help either ...

where are you???

ken

• Starlight Botanist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry I should have been more specific with details.

They are grown on a balcony, which receives about 8 hours of direct sun per day. Day time temps here at around 90f, and night time has been no colder than 68f.

I cut off the new shoots because they looked very sick, had black all over them, i was afraid they were a fungus, and that they would spread.

I am pretty new at this, that's why I am on here asking questions, I am trying to learn the right things to do. :)

Also, our area has many native phlox, all of which are in full bloom along road sides and such right now, and look healthy. I feel the time of year isn't the issue, unless maybe this cultivator is more sensitive to fall coming that our native species.

Also here is a picture of the stem, you can see some dark areas there as well.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Not a problem, IMO. In fact, I believe my garden phlox always looked like that, and it was a feature of the foliage, not a disease. If you think you have a problem with that beautiful specimen, you should have seen my mangled mess of phlox that got pitched a couple years ago.

In any case, if you have green, turgid foliage and blooms, be happy. We don't grow silk or plastic plants. All of our plants have imperfections. You treat when you can identify the problem and when it looks to become serious.

• Starlight Botanist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply mulch,

Now it has died back completely, the whole thing is wilted. It must simply sense fall coming. Temp last night was 65F. I wait till next year and hope for the best.