Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding white substance in soil and at base of plants

Posted by bajanrosegal (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 11:45

I am really worried that I might have a battle with some kind of plant disease or diseases. I noticed that my oxalis and caladium seemed to have been losing leaves extremely quickly then I noticed a white almost sticky substance at the base of these plants. I removed all the parts that seemed affected and sprayed the roots and they are both looking healthy again. However I am finding alot of this substance on my portulacas and in their soil. I have been removing the affected parts and spraying with a three in one organic insecticide/fungicide/miticide. Yesterday I went into my small greenhouse area and found brown spots on the leaves of several of my plants. I removed all the infected leaves, cut back the plants and sprayed with the same spray. But I am still horrified. What else can I possibly do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding white substance in soil and at base of plants

Can we see some pictures of this "white, almost sticky substance"?

o

I will try to take a photo when I get in from work this evening. So I will post it tonight or tomorrow.

o

Any pictures?

o

Had lots of rain for the last day and a half. Have not seen enough of the white stuff to really photograph. I hope that my spraying and cutting back worked. But if it comes back I will post photos. But thanks for now.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 17:59

Perhaps one of the slime molds? If so, not a problem.

o

I have over 55 plants that are in terra cotta pots and I am having the same problem. It's definitely not the salts because I have pots like that but this is a soft white mildew at the base of the pots, on the ring of the top and some on the soil. I have tried taking off the top layer of soil but it keeps coming back. I have cleaned off the outer side with vinegar and water and it still comes back. I do have all my plants sitting on stones with water in it. Could this be causing it. I have just purchased all new pots and soil so I can't redo all these plants again. Does anyone know of anything I can use that won't harm the plants and clean it where it won't come back but also won't harm my plants?? Please help.

o

lucy, what you are describing doesn't sound at all like the problem our original poster was asking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here