Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire ants all over pepper plants!

Posted by wookiemouse TX (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 11:55

I need some advice on getting rid of a fire ant infestation.

I have several 4x8' raised beds (over caliche rock, pretty much - I'm in south central Texas) and we've been under extreme drought. The only place I've found fire ants this year is in my beds. :( No visible mounds - they seem to be coming up from directly under my pepper plants. They leave everything else alone except for the peppers, but it is to the point that I can't harvest a thing because of the density of the ants. I have tried Orange Guard, which will get rid of them for the rest of the day but they're back in the morning. I have tried spraying molasses as a deterrent with zero luck. I can't treat the garden perimeter with something like Amdro, as I'm on a slope and any rain we get (ha ha, fat chance) will wash it into my planting area. Any ideas on garden-safe treatments to get rid of these nasties?

Stacy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire ants all over pepper plants!

There are ant bait granules on the market with the active ingredient Spinosad, a biological control agent. I much prefer baits to so-called repellents, or even contact killers. Spinosad baits are labeled for use around edible plantings.

There are several brand names with Spinosad (Conserve) as the active ingredient. Greenlight makes one, for example. Become a good label reader.....look for something that is clearly labeled as a BAIT and with Spinosad (common name Conserve). It will be a granulated formulation similar to Amdro.

Be sure to read and follow all directions for best results. Fire ants can be a serious problem in times of drought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here