Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Defoliation of se�orita Rosalita cleome- ghost bug??

bridget helm
10 years ago

Hi. I have 2 Se�orita Rosalita Cleomes growing in part shade that are doing fabulous! The one in mostly sun (has some late afternoon shade) looks terrible. Something has eaten the leaves completely away, except for the very top. It are from the bottom up exposing bare burgundy branches. Ill post a pic of the plant in a reply.

When I shake the plant tiny ghostly bugs fly about. They are clearish when they fly. I see no eggs and no caterpillars. I am also baffled because it seems impossible for such a tiny bug to completely devour all of the leaves. It's not the same as sucking the leaves. The leaves are gone!

Yesterday i caught one of the suspects to get a better look at it. It is a pale clearish mint green. It has a long narrow body and long narrow wings. It is NOT the beneficial lacewing, smaller and the green is more yellowish than the minty lacewing.

The picture isn't great, but its the best i could do with my phone since it's such a tiny bug.

Comments (3)

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's my pitiful Rosalita :(

She's been this way all summer. Still alive, but looking awful. I don't think I can save her, but i still would like to know what the pest is because i LOVE my Rosalitas because they fill in the beds with fluff and color and require no maintenance. A lot of bang for your buck! I can't imagine my beds without them.

Also, i searched for caterpillars without finding any.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any ideas??

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    10 years ago

Maybe the leaves are dropping off, not being eaten. One website talked about harlequin bugs. I get them on my agastache and they lose their leaves. They also talk about good drainage needed. That is all of my ideas...

But thank you for introducing me to this plant. I want it and will try and get it next year.