Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Defoliation of se�orita Rosalita cleome- ghost bug??

Posted by bmh4796 Zone9-S Louisiana (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 11:57

Hi. I have 2 Se�orita Rosalita Cleomes growing in part shade that are doing fabulous! The one in mostly sun (has some late afternoon shade) looks terrible. Something has eaten the leaves completely away, except for the very top. It are from the bottom up exposing bare burgundy branches. Ill post a pic of the plant in a reply.

When I shake the plant tiny ghostly bugs fly about. They are clearish when they fly. I see no eggs and no caterpillars. I am also baffled because it seems impossible for such a tiny bug to completely devour all of the leaves. It's not the same as sucking the leaves. The leaves are gone!

Yesterday i caught one of the suspects to get a better look at it. It is a pale clearish mint green. It has a long narrow body and long narrow wings. It is NOT the beneficial lacewing, smaller and the green is more yellowish than the minty lacewing.

The picture isn't great, but its the best i could do with my phone since it's such a tiny bug.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Defoliation of se�orita Rosalita cleome- ghost bug??

Here's my pitiful Rosalita :(

She's been this way all summer. Still alive, but looking awful. I don't think I can save her, but i still would like to know what the pest is because i LOVE my Rosalitas because they fill in the beds with fluff and color and require no maintenance. A lot of bang for your buck! I can't imagine my beds without them.

Also, i searched for caterpillars without finding any.

o

Any ideas??

o

Maybe the leaves are dropping off, not being eaten. One website talked about harlequin bugs. I get them on my agastache and they lose their leaves. They also talk about good drainage needed. That is all of my ideas...

But thank you for introducing me to this plant. I want it and will try and get it next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here