Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cercospora or Anthracnose?

Posted by basil_and_thyme 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 12:00

We have some hydrangeas that were planted in a couple of months ago. Our complex's manager put them in and has been watering them. The other day I noticed blackening of the leaves with some spots that look like something fungal? Not being an experienced gardener, I need some help identifying the problem.

From what I've found, this is probably cercospora or anthracnose, but I can't tell which. Here's a detail of the damage, any idea which this is?

Image link: Cercospora or Anthracnose? (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cercospora or Anthracnose?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 22:00

Neither disease.
What's the rest of the plant look like?
If possible, please post a picture.

o

Cercospora....

Here is a link that might be useful: Cercospora on hydrangea

o

Thank you both for your responses.

Jean001, I'll try to get a pic of the whole plants (have to borrow a camera again), but they all look good besides the leaf discoloration. They're producing nice flowers, growing well.

ians_gardener, thank you for the link! The photos look exactly like what is going on with our hydrangeas. I'm betting that top-watering is the problem. If I'm surmising correctly, there isn't much to be done other than to talk to the manager about the need to stop top-watering, and wait for it to clear up? Should we remove infected leaves?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here