Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunchoke/Jerusalem Artichoke dying leaves

Posted by jrleek 11a (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 12:56

I live in zone 11a. I planted Sunchokes this year, but they haven't done well. I have never planted them before, I got the tubers from the Farmers Market, so the variety is a mystery. Anyway, the lower leaves are continually dying. The top leaves look fine, the next few down have brown spots, below that, more brown and some holes, below that the leaves are totally dead. See pictures below.

I've searched around, but every website says that diseases and pests are not an issue. Contributing factors could be:
1. The spot where I planted them is only partial sun.
2. The bed I planted them in has a lot of clay soil, mixed with compost.
3. Last year the tomatoes I planted in that bed all got blossom rot. On the other hand, this year some tomatoes came up in that bed as volunteers. They have been my best, healthiest tomatoes. Weird.

Any ideas? Micro-nutrient deficiency perhaps?
Pictures:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunchoke/Jerusalem Artichoke dying leaves

Dying of thirst. Please water them. Evenly moist soil is the goal.

o

No, that's not due to lack of water. I water them plenty, and Sunchokes don't need much, they are adapted to dry climates.
A guy on another board said that's pretty common if they aren't in really good soil, which these aren't. He said they should produce a decent crop anyway.

o

they look sunburnt and underwatered to me too ...

there is a big difference what an ESTABLISHED plant can do.. and what a recent transplant can cope with.. this is old damage.. so its hard to tell.. now.. when the insult to the leaf tissue occurred ..

the soil in the pic looks recently turned.. as compared to that further behind ... if so.. it just couldnt cope.. as your other dude suggested ..

regardless.. it lives..

mulch will help reduces swings in soil moisture ...

ken

o

It's true they don;t needmuch water, but they do need enough.

The browning is classic for water shortage. May even have been the after-effects of one very hot day when the roots couldn't keep up with the top's requirements. The area to brown & die 1st t=is the tissue between the veins. Those cell are at the end of the water supply line.

This doc explains water shortage in many kinds of plants
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Garden/drought6.htm

Scroll down to "symptoms in leaves" then look at the middle picture in the 1st row. Same as your sunchokes.

Here is a link that might be useful: symptoms of water shortage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here