Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone tell me how to get rid of these bugs?

Posted by chrisgv none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 13:03

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to gardening and uhhh... nature in general I guess.

Anyway, I've noticed a lot of these bugs on the backside of my house, especially around the windows and doors. I've noticed few inside now too.

They look like beetles to me. The pic isn't the greatest - if you need better quality, let me know.

Any help to identify and advice on how to get rid of them would be appreciated.

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone tell me how to get rid of these bugs?

Those are boxelder bugs, not beetles but one of the many insects commonly referred to as 'true bugs '. Though they can often be seen in large swarms like this, reports of significant plant damage are rare. These insects specialize in feeding on the seeds of boxelders and other maples.

If your home is not well sealed, boxelder bugs will find their way inside. Do you have a portable vacuum?

o

Box Elder bug. Some people do vacuum them up which distrurbs them enough that the release that distinctive odor. My wife will trap them, gently, and flush them. As stated clearly in the link below do not use any insecticide in the house to control these wee buggers.
In my case any thing that might control these would trigger an Asthma attack and make the house unhabitable for me for over a week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Box Elder Bugs

o

get rid of the box elder tree ...

you will never get rid of them..

and there is no real reason to do so ...

and if they are in the house.. its a 'house sealing' issue.. not a bug issue ...

the few that get in.. i just grab with a kleenex .. and feed them to Poseidon.. via the inter galactic whirlpool of death ...

they will be gone with the first hard frost or freeze .... until next year, of course ...

ken

ps: i flush them...

o

"the inter galactic whirlpool of death .."

Ken, you are always funny, but this may be your best yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here