Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mealy Bugs and other pests on Indoor Coleus

Posted by smolis none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 14:21

I went to take a cutting off a coleus today and found the undersides of the leaves covered with three things. One type I am pretty sure are mealy bugs. The others I am not sure about but they are circled in picture below. What is the best way to ride the plant of these pests? I would like to the species of this miniature coleus.

Image link: Mealy Bugs and other pests on Indoor Coleus (60 k)

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleus 1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mealy Bugs and other pests on Indoor Coleus

Link to the photo of the plant

Here is a link that might be useful: Miniature Coleus

o

Mealybugs, all of 'em. Adults, ovasacs, crawlers, etc. That's a very bad infestation of a pest that can be quite a challenge to control.

Have you tried anything, so far? I would ordinarily recommend a misting solution of water/alcohol, but I have never treated coleus with the alcohol.

If this were my plant, I would take as many small stem cuttings as I could, wash them all carefully in soapy water, rinse, wash, rinse....and then root them in a good potting mix. Do you know how to take stem cuttings?

o

I have yet to see a Mealy Bug that can take a good coating of Horticultural Oil and survive. Even at low concentrations of 1%. I do not know if Coleus is sensitive though. I think the reason people don't always get control with Oil is that they spritz it on like a stomach poison pesticide, Oil works only if you completely coat the insect.
You probably don't have time for this but the Mealy Bug Destroyer, Cryptolaemus montrouzieri is a predator that is commercially available. Predators take the right conditions and pest populations to establish, but this one seems to be a little more forgiving than some others. It will also eat other pests occasionally. Besides they're pretty cool bugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mealy bug destroyer

o

Like Aphids Mealy Bugs can be knocked off any plant they are on with a shapr water spray. Coleus is sensitive to horticultural oils so that may not be a good option.

o

I disagree that mealies can be sprayed off with water, at least not enough to manage a population consisting of generations of the little pests.

o

I have Coleus listed on the actual Oil label listed as a safe plant. Of course always check with a test sample. Also under certain conditions Oil will burn any plant, so read the label.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here