Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minuscule white bugs. [picture from microscope included]

Posted by pyroboy (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 15:11

Hello!
Yesterday, I took some soil from a pot and put it in a small cup. I filled it with water and I saw many of those white bugs floating. When the water receded, they went back into the soil. I caught some of them with a toothpic and I managed to take some pictures of them with a cheap microscope.
[see attachment]
As you can see, the creature is 1mm in length. It has two thick hairy... antennas(?). Some legs along its body and a hairy... ass :p
I would be grateful if someone here could recognise it so I can defend my plants if it's going to pose a threat to them.
A few months ago, all of my tomato plants, a pumpkin plant and a mellon plant ended up as food for some spidermites.
I can't let those white bugs do something similar...

Image link: Minuscule white bugs. [picture from microscope included] (15 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minuscule white bugs. [picture from microscope included]

Sorry there's not enough detail there. BTW what good is a microscope that shows a shadow with no detail?
My digital camera would do better. Did you by chance post the wrong picture?

o

The description sounds like, and the picture looks to me like, a springtail. Pretty harmless little characters. They like moist places and eat decaying organic matter.

o

I'm still chuckling at this image. I love the effort you took. I agree with garb that I 'think' I can see the silhouette of a springtail, but also agree with Taz that the microimage made it difficult to identify. Anything that you can spear with a toothpick can be zoomed in on with your digital.

Sort of looks like a hand shadow puppet we did as kids. ;-)

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 0:27

Looks like a springtail to me.

o

@taz1622
A cheap one! :P Just like mine. But it's not like this when you look with your eyes. The picture came out like a shadow because I had to manually set the focus, exposure and shutter speed. With the AUTO feature, the only thing you would see is a bright dot! :p I tried to zoom at it with my digital camera but I couldn't get something better than the first picture..
http://www.imagehosting.gr/out.php/i1454596_img-0938.jpg
The circled white dots are the creatures. The others are specs of dust.

But I am sure that your assumptions are correct and they are springtails. Because, with the microscope and my eyes not the camera, I can see them with much more detail. When they are alive and moving, they slip on the glass and I can see them sideways. They look exactly like these two
http://a2.pbase.com/t1/59/68959/4/53921963.springtail1.jpg

So I think it is ok to plant some lettuces.
Thanks gardenweb people!

o

If they're popping like popcorn when disturbed they're springtails, Otherwise????
When I had a bunch of springtails in a bowl of sphagnum moss and watered it, it looked like I'd just poured soda pop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here