Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ash leaf damage

Posted by hortster 6A southcentral KS (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 15:13

I found this today on a tree that has been in the yard for over 15 years. It is 'Autumn Purple' ash (Fraxinus americana 'AP'). I have seen all of the typical maladies - flatheaded apple borer, ash/lilac borer, eastern twig borer (no EAB yet!), ash flower gall mite, etc. but this is the first time for this leaf mining insect. Two things that may or may not play on this - the damage seems much more prevalent on the north side of the tree (both pix from that side) and lowest, most shaded foliage; also I spotted two or three extremely fast black gnat like insects about 3/16" long. They were speedy both flying and leggin' it across the foliage.
Any ideas? TIA.
hortster

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ash leaf damage

Rather than leaf miner, perhaps a small chewer which removed the surface cells. The exposed tissue is brown. So, whatever is responsible, is now gone.

o
RE: Ash leaf damage - aha; found it!

Amazing. Used search phrase "ash leaf beetle" and that's what it is! Technical name leaf beetle is Octotoma plicatula

from forestryimages
http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=3067039

Here is a link that might be useful: ash leaf beetle damage

o
RE: Ash leaf damage - now the beetle

http://bugguide.net/node/view/509121

Here is a link that might be useful: the beetle

o

Good call, Jean! What a weird little beetle. I don't think I've ever seen one nor have I ever seen such damage.

o

Hey, thanks, Jean. Certainly an ugly little critter. 'Twas a new one to me!
rhizo - the damage is pretty extensive and highly noticeable, although I'm sure it won't hurt the tree. It will be interesting to see if it returns next year.
hortster

o

I rather doubt it will damage the tree, especially as it's almost time for the leaves to fall on their own.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here