Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coffee4two

ID..Slug on juicy Cabbage

Coffee4Two
9 years ago

Expat in the tropics here, my partner found this slug on one of her big cabbages grown in our Garden. Anyone know what kind and how to prevent future slug infestation of the cabbage patch.

Comments (7)

• Coffee4Two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the underbelly of the slug.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont think the name of the slug matters as to battling slugs ...

there is an FAQ in this forum and in the hosta forum... it can be found just the title of this forum ... by clicking the FAQ link ...

ken

• Coffee4Two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cheers Ken, I wanted to avoid as much chemicals as possible. We've been tending to the soil much better to keep it rich and fertile. I would keep monitoring some of the other solutions and see how it goes.

I was doing some research online and figured getting a name would help me find a local solution as well that can specifically target that species.

Indeed, battling them is the foremost priority and that is already underway. The earlier the better whiles their numbers are not so great.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

As has been said, you don't need to know the genus and species of that slug; the control of slugs doesn't work that way. What works for one kind of plant eating slug or snail is likely to work for any of them.

In the states, we have access to such organic baits as Sluggo with iron phosphate as the active ingredient. It can be used in the vegetable garden.

Others rely on beer traps, which I have found quite effective. Or entering the garden areas at night with a flashlight for hand removal. Toss the slimy things into a can with soapy water or ammonia water.

Persistant forays to catch them in the act will be very helpful.

When it is important to know more details about a pest is for something like beetles....which may have very different roles in the ecosystem of our gardens. Some are predaceous, some are pollen feeders, others may be pests. The more we know about the individual, the better able we are to deal with them efficiently.

Does all of this make sense?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

As has been said, you don't need to know the genus and species of that slug; the control of slugs doesn't work that way. What works for one kind of plant eating slug or snail is likely to work for any of them.

In the states, we have access to such organic baits as Sluggo with iron phosphate as the active ingredient. It can be used in the vegetable garden.

Others rely on beer traps, which I have found quite effective. Or entering the garden areas at night with a flashlight for hand removal. Toss the slimy things into a can with soapy water or ammonia water.

Persistant forays to catch them in the act will be very helpful.

When it is important to know more details about a pest is for something like beetles....which may have very different roles in the ecosystem of our gardens. Some are predaceous, some are pollen feeders, others may be pests. The more we know about the individual, the better able we are to deal with them efficiently.

Does all of this make sense?

• Coffee4Two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rhizo_1, I can get Sluggo here, but I will give the beer traps a go first.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

The linked article may be of some help with slug control. Note the section on using beer refers to the fermented yeast and that in one test a non alcoholic beer attracted the most slugs.
    Diatomaceous Earth (food or garden and not pool grade) is quite effective and less costly then the slug baits.
    Eliminating some of the favorite hiding spots might also help, although mulches provide that as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: controlling slugs