Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

ID of a spider? [pic]

Can someone ID this spider for me? I found it on the curtain of the window of my back door, inside the house. It worried me right away, because the size and shape of it did not look like what I usually expect to see in the house. And that was before I could see the close up photo of it. I do wear glasses and even with glasses I have a hard time seeing markings on an insect. So, is this something to worry about or is it your usual garden variety spider? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

One of the funnel weavers/grass spiders, I suspect.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Fun-L

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tj, thanks, that looks like the photo in Wikipedia. I did notice though that it mentioned it is found in Colorado. I am in Massachusetts. I looked up common spiders of Massachusetts and didn't see this one listed. What do you think about that? I'm not knowledgeable about spiders. I'm just a tad bit squeamish about anything beyond those I am familiar with....Daddy Long Legs, etc. And I don't mind a few small common looking ones hanging around in the house. I had to stop reading about spiders because it was starting to get under my skin. [g] I guess I'm not sure whether spiders are strictly regional and should only be found where they are supposed to be found or not. And if it is an unusual spider for my area, why would I have it?

It was in the house, so I have to wonder if it came in on something. I had made recent Amazon purchases and the boxes were still hanging around the house. You think I would have noticed a spider like that in the box when unpacking it though, but I lifted a few things out of boxes and left the packing material in them. Plus I bought a houseplant, a Ficus benjamina a week or so ago, and had it in the house for a day before returning it. I didn't actually inspect it carefully.

I would like to figure out if it came in from outdoors or I brought it home from somewhere. I guess I should be more careful either way.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I think funnel spiders are pretty common all over the US. I've seen them in quite a few states including CA and AR so I'm sure you could also have them in MA but it's also possible it came in a package.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I guess it will remain a mystery but if I see another one outside at some point, I will know whether they are local or not. I'll keep my eyes open and next time I receive a package I'll check it out better.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Yep, grass spiders are everywhere. They are common in your area. These busy little critters are often found in homes, but they aren't anything to worry about. You probably have dozens of them living around your property.

• novice_2009
    13 years ago

Agree with rhizo. I've seen those guys around my garden a lot, and this time of year they like to come inside.
    In the garden, spiders are good guys. Unless it's a black widow (!), or brown recluse(common here), you got nothing to worry about.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I really haven't noticed this particular spider in my garden before, but spiders are not something I enjoy and although they don't worry me much for the most part and I've never had a bad experience with them, I just tolerate them. [g] I don't think I could live in an area of the country that had poisonous spiders or scorpions and the like. I don't like snakes either. I don't know how you gardeners do it that have to worry about brown recluse spiders and such.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Oh, it's easy, prairiemoon! We don't worry!

Once you know a little bit about the behavior of such spiders, it's pretty easy to go about your business and avoid getting a bite.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I don't worry about spiders (and we do have lots of brown recluse here)but it is a bit unpleasant when you walk between 2 bushes and get a face full of web. I do worry a little about the copperheads, cotton mouths and rattlesnakes but knowing where they like to hang out helps.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm....well, I guess an education about their habits would be a necessity and make it easier. I definitely don't enjoy a spider web in the face when I try to get between two overgrown shrubs to get to the water spigot in the front. [g] I would have taken care of those two shrubs by now, if there were a chance they were brown recluse webs...lol.

Copperheads and rattlesnakes! You certainly have a pioneering spirit. Nope, I just couldn't relax in my garden, knowing they were there and even if I knew where they liked to hang out, I'd always have it in the back of my mind that they could do something unpredictable and the extra caution would take some of the pleasure from my gardening. It's a good thing we are not all alike and there are people who can tolerate them. :-)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago

Good morning, pm2. I just wanted you to know that I also seem to have grass spiders here in Plymouth, MA. I found this thread while I was trying to identify some spiders that have occupied my pile of bluestone pavers. I think this is a pair of male and female funnelweaver/grass spiders - male to the left, female to the right, egg sac in the middle. It's a bit awkward since I don't want to kill the spiders but I would really like to use the pavers. I'm mulling over ways to relocate them.

Claire (also in MA)