Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No-see-ums in NYC rooftop garden

Posted by windowsilly NY (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 15:37

I live in NYC, in a brownstone, with a roof garden where neighbors have everything growing in pots including roses, vegetables, corn, pine trees, you name it. Well, the tenants on the top floor of the building have been attacked by an infestation of no-see-ums, or midges, or punkies or sand flies. It's a tiny gnat that bites ferociously and leaves with you a nasty, itchy welt.

For beginners, I've ordered new screens for my apartment to keep them out, but I worry about what to do with the plants in their soil pots, where, no doubt, these bugs are laying their larvae. I'm thinking of getting a good broad-based pesticide and spraying the surface of the soil all over plants on this roof.

Any one out there have experience with this problem? Could you recommend a pesticide to kill the larvae or any other measure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No-see-ums in NYC rooftop garden

For starters, broad spectrum pesticides are not likely to do the job for you. Control of these little pests needs to be a multi-faceted approach.

Biting midges/no-see-ums, etc. require moisture in order to breed. Most species aren't necessarily aquatic, but high levels of moisture is a must. Container growers need to be encouraged to be watchful about that.

These insects can all be controlled in the larval stage by the active ingredient found in common mosquito dunks : Bacillus thuringiensis var. Israelensis. Bt-I can be purchased as mosquito dunks, or in a granular form, or in a liquid form called Gnatrol. All of them need to be prepared and used when watering the plants normally. Bt-I, again, is a larvicide.

To avoid attracting the adults in the first place, it is always recommended that yellow lights be used instead of those that give off white light.

o
RE: No-see-ums in NYC rooftop garden

What rhizo said! I would have suggested the Bt(i) also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here