Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelelc_gw

Groundhogs, ugh!

michelelc
12 years ago

I came home from a week's vacation to find something had eaten most of my fall seedlings. A few days later I spotted a groundhog in my garden. I bought a havahart trap and after a week, caught the varmint. I took care of him, and breathed a sigh of relief. I should mention I do have a 5 ft wire fence around part of my garden, and the other part has a 6 ft. wood fence, which they obviously go right under. So, this morning I spot another groundhog, ugh! I have been putting the trap out after catching the first one, but hadn't got out there yet this morning. So, out of went with the trap. I got him when I arrived home from work. So, I have a few questions. I live in a very residential area with houses very close to one another. There isn't that much wildlife around except skunks racoons.(which is why I take the trap in at night. How many groundhogs should I expect? Maybe this is a silly question. Also, if I put floating row covers over my fall crops (only 4 raised beds), would this deter groundhogs from touching them? They are the only thing I am really concerned about. When do they hibernate? I'd love some advice from someone who has experienced them before. I am going away overnight on Sat., and am really nervous to come home sunday afternoon to my fall crops once again eaten. I can't leave the trap out while I'm away overnight, because I'll probably get a skunk.

Comments (2)