Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady Bug, Mexican Bean Beelte or something else?

Posted by IAmSupernova SE Texas 9A (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 17:06

Anyone know? How can you tell them apart? All my Googling just gives me conflicting answers. A guide will tell ways to tell them apart and then the bug has the signs of neither... All I know is I have quite a few of these things on my peppers and okra, some have dots, some don't, some have what looks like a dot or two that got smeared when it was still 'wet'. With the exception of a couple of deep red ones, all are this orangish-bronzish color.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady Bug, Mexican Bean Beelte or something else?

Asian lady beetles.

To differentiate from Mexican bean beetle, observe their eating habits. Mexican bean beetles eat plant material/leaves, lady beetles eat aphids.

o

I haven't been able to catch a single one eating, that was my first thought.. I've been trying to figure out what these are for a couple weeks now. But thanks.

o

Here are many pictures of Mexican bean beetles. Notice that the first section behind the head is plain -- that is no markings.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&cp=14&gs_id=6d&xhr=t&q=mexican+bean+beetle&newwindow=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=819&bih=451&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=buRfULfGPKWViQKP04CwCg

Your beetles have a "W" on the first section behind the head. That W-mark is characteristic of Asian lady beetles.

Stop worrying & be happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican bean beetles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here