Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green worm/caterpillar on roses

Posted by marie_ne_pa Z5 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 07 at 17:34

This green caterpillar/worm is eating my rose bushes. It has been a problem for several years and I still haven't figured out what it is. It is worse this year. If anyone knows what it is please tell me. If it is a butterfly or moth larva I will tolerate it but otherwise I will try praying. I just do not want to hurt my butterflies and moths.

Image link: green worm/caterpillar on roses (11 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green worm/caterpillar on roses

Praying or spraying? LOL. I'm clueless, I expected from the title of your thread it was rose slugs, but it obviously isn't.

o

OOOPPS! I meant spraying. I'm praying too but thats another story. I enjoy my butterflies and moths too much and since the roses bloom anyway I figure they seem to be surviving. But they look horrid with all the leaves chewed up.

o

I don't grow roses, but it looks almost identical to the ones shown on this page.

o

You mean it was rose slugs? LOLOL.

o

Rose slugs, the larva of a sawfly. Control is with hand squishing, Insecticidal Soaps, Neem oil in that order. I had them on my roses until I got the soil into a good, healthy state so the roses that grew there were strong and healthy and I've not seen them on the roses for several years. I have had them in the past on the Hibiscus, but not this year.

o

Calliope...you're eyes were right the first time! It's not a rose slug sawfly, but a different kind of sawfly. The curled rose sawfly is common in some locations, and that's what Marie has.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curled rose sawfly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here