Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tehyajenz6

What might be living in my yard?

TehyaJenZ6
9 years ago

At the beginning of Summer I moved into this house. Concrete repair was one of the things done prior to my moving in and the contractor told me "something is living under your porch". Since he already had the cement there, he patched up the opening. I don't know if what I'm finding now is the same "something" that used to live under the porch, or completely unrelated.

I first found a hole in the ground near where I had removed a landscape stone by the driveway. Maybe 2" around. No dirt or signs of mulch disturbance, no tunnels leading to/from, just an opening. I put a small rock over the hole and the rock has been undisturbed as far as I can tell.

The next hole was on the other side of the driveway, right next to the house. Again a perfect circle, no dirt and no raised dirt like a mole or vole might leave. I left it alone.

The other day I found another, in front of the house a few feet from where the first was found. This time it's inches from the small pond in front of the house. (it's about 3'x6', no more than 2' deep if that)

Now as long as it's just a new hole once every month or two and no other damage to my yard or house, I'm live and let live. HOWEVER..

Today I noticed the two Asiatic Lily plant (we're long past the flowering stage) on the other side of the pond are completely gone. No signs they were ever there. A few feet from that I have a cluster of them planted. These are more mature and thus far bigger. The ground is disturbed a bit, but a few are gone. There is no dirt on top of the mulch so I can only assume they were pulled below.

Those lilies were brought from my garden at the house I just sold. They are the first perennials I ever planted, and they actually have sentimental value to me. If they die a natural death it's one thing, but this is an act of war.

So tell me, can any of you help me figure out what beastie is stealing my lilies?

Comments (7)