Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tons of pests on Gai lan (Chinese brocolli)

Posted by aznboi385 CA/zone 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 18:46

I saw some holes in my gailan(or kailan). I think it's categorized as a type of kale and also called chinese brocolli. I tried to take some pictures, but the quality isn't that good. It really had a whole bunch of different kinds of pests that I've never seen before. There were small green worms. Lots of dusty white specks that were ovalish; it almost seemed like mold. There was some holes in the leaf, but it was covered with some web looking like material. A last pest that I saw was this small black bug with yellow markings on its back. Sometimes I saw a pair of those black bugs walking with their butts stuck together (one walking backwards, one walking forwards. I think they were mating). There's so many pests on those veggies that I just cut them all down and threw them out. I really want to plant these and I was wondering how do I kill these pests so I can enjoy my gailan. Thanks in advance!

Green worm is in the middle bottom portion of the pic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tons of pests on Gai lan (Chinese brocolli)

The quality oaf your images isn't very good because you're too close to want you're trying to photograph.

The green caterpillars are most likely white cabbage moth. Handpick, flick into soapy water, or stomp. If you use Bt, the caterpillars MUST BE less than half grown.

The large blotches are caused by leafminers.

Again, regular patrols to spot the damage & ACT when you see it.

This time, the critters are between the leaf surfaces. So when you see the beginning of a blotch, gently squish the critter(s) which are snacking beyond the reach of any pesticide you might spray at it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here