Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Matter Magic Panic

Posted by Ecopal none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 18:53

Hey everybody,
So I started to add matter magic to my tomatoes, and other vegetables and they all love it. But here�s the thing, the bugs love it too. Ever since I added matter magic to my five gallon buckets the ants just moved right in. They are building little hills and even though I bulldoze anything they build they just keep coming. I don�t think they can hurt my tomatoes but they are steeling my fertilizer. What�s even worse is that the roaches have been making their move. I have not seen any but I have been finding eggs in the buckets. GROSS!!!!!!! . What can I do to get rid of them without introducing chemicals to my soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Matter Magic Panic

Nothing comes up with a web search for Matter Magic that is usefull in determining what that product is. A better description of the product, a better name, something that tells us what it is would help.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 10:37

The poster is growing 'maters' with mater magic...

"Mater Magic is derived from Meat Meal, Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Bone Meal, Blood Meal and Sulfate of Potash 5-5-9 plus 4.5 calcium"

I haven't encountered ants in containers myself, but others have suggested boric acid baits, diatomaceous earth, also submerging the containers in a larger container of water (holding it down if necessary) until all pest have drowned then letting it drain and dry out again.

o

"Mater Magic" contains some stuff ants would find tremendously desireable which probably explains why they took up residence in the buckets. While there are numerous strategies to use to kill various insects taking steps to keepthem away is often the best and that might meant not using products that would attract them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here