Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puchinita5

is this a pest/disease or absolutely nothing?

Puchinita5
9 years ago

I just ordered a Chinese Perfume Plant from Logees. Took it out of the box, and it looks great except that the bottom leaves have something on them. It almost looks like dirt or sand... but it doesn't come off when you rub the leaf.

The rest of the leaves all look great, but I'm wondering if this plant is sick. I don't know much about plants and so perhaps this is absolutely nothing, but want to make sure.

Maybe it's nothing, perhaps just damaged or some weird reaction from shipping?

If it's nothing, I'll just prune the bad leaves off.

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• Puchinita5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another photo.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I am not at all familiar with this plant but if I were to guess, I'd say that the plant is exhibiting signs of edema. On plants, edema can result in small eruptions of the epidermis ; it's an indication of moisture at the roots and the plant's inability to move it properly through the vascular system properly. Being in a shipping box for a few days could account for it. So can excess humidity, too much watering, etc. It's not a 'disease' and new foliage should be fine.

Mind you, that's a guess! It's your job to take some good images of the affected leaves (you already have), plus a couple of the whole plant, and contact Logees right away. See what they say.

I assume that you know how to take care of your new plant. It sounds interesting.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what is longees..

and why would they send a diseased or bug infested plant ... as you said you took it out of the box as such

what do they say is the problem ... or why have not contacted them ...???

pruning off half the plant.. is not high on the list of things i would do ...

i thought spider mites ... or scale.. rhiz baffled me.. by going another direction ... hmmm ... must be me ...

ken

• Puchinita5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses!

I contacted them and all they said was " The spots on the leaves might be overspray from being watered/fertilized in the greenhouse. We will note your account about the concern just in case."

Logees I feel is pretty reputable, so I don't think they would send a sick or pest infested plant, but since I've never delt with any pests or diseases, I'm not sure what to look for and am always worried.

If it was a pest, I'm assuming I would actually see little bugs somewhere if I looked thoroughly, rightt? Or could they be hidden?

Perhaps it is either just the edema thing or overspray thing. I just want to make sure I can put the plant by the other plants without making the others sick.

• ronalawn82
    9 years ago
  • calliope
    9 years ago

Logees has a very good reputation in the green industry. I agree with Rhizo's first impression. It looks very much like a case of oedema. If it is, not an issue at all on old leaves. Neither is overspray. It looks so familiar with me because this is a very common condition on greenhouse ivy geraniums, with similar leaf structure when started in winter......when watering is so dicey in changeable weather and the sun disappears after you've just saturated benches of them. I used to get it almost typically like clockwork on the leaves of newly started plants, and by the time spring approached it corrected itself.