Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchard_clueless

What apple tree disease is this?

Orchard_Clueless
9 years ago

My apple trees developed some type of disease & I'm not sure what it is. Please help me identify it. I prefer to stay organic, so what treatment should I use? That pic is of my Honeycrisp. But my Macintosh & Golden Delicious are also diseased.

Comments (11)

• Orchard_Clueless
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's my Macintosh. I know it's fall & leaves will soon fall off, so is it necessary to treat it this late in the season? Btw, all my trees were planted this spring (I bought them at a local nursery).

• jean001a
    9 years ago

"Treatment" for this time of year is sanitation: Collect and discard all fallen leaves.

In most cases, any sprays to be applied are most effective in spring, but only after the problem is diagnosed.

Suggest you contact your county's Extension Service office for diagnosis and recommendations.

To do so, use the map at the link below -

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your County's Extension Service office

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

1. Talk to your local horticultural agent at your state universities Cooperative Extension Service office about what the problem might be.
    2. Go back to the nursery that sold those trees to you and ask for disease free replacements.

• Orchard_Clueless
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for suggestions. I stopped at the nursery where I purchased them & they told me it's apple scab. I'd hate to exchange them because they grew so well this season. They just told me that I have to make sure to collect all infected leaves as they fall off and dispose them (garbage or burn). Then spray the trees with Dormant oil once it's about 40 degrees (not lower or else it won't coat the trees well). Then do another spray during a warm spell in the winter & again before spring (before budding & at about same temp as in fall ) in about March. He also mentioned neem oil but I didn't inquire when to spray it. Might have to stop another time to get more details. So yes, at this point there really is no other "treatment". Hope next season I will be able to prevent it.

This post was edited by Orchard_Clueless on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 14:30

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    9 years ago

From what I've read, you need to continue spraying new growth if you want to protect it. Also, I haven't seen spraying oil in the winter to affect apple scab.

But I am reading Northeast information. Where are you? I am curious to see the different area information.

It's a little late but if you buy another one try a scab resistant variety. And other disease resistance too if available. Organic growers probably have to deal with scab. Im sure they pick just the right type for their area and one that "should" be the most successful. Plus they probably spray too.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there is a very hardcore fruit forum ...

you never know where you will find more opinion ...

ken

• Orchard_Clueless
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in the Northeast (16441). I want to add Liberty apple tree but my husband thinks we have enough apple trees. I know that one is resistant to scab. He wants to plant plum or pear. Our Montmorency cherry is doing very well. Our Reliance Peach tree died shortly after we planted it (we have late frosts here). Normally we still have snow in April. Right now everything is 50% off at our local nursery & I'm so tempted to purchase a tree. Should we wait for spring?

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    9 years ago

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/gardening/fphg/pome

Here is the apple section of the Penn State publication "Fruit Production for the Home gardener."

Im not sure if now is a good time to plant. But I do see that Liberty has the most disease resistance.

Take off the "pome" in the link for the whole book.

• Orchard_Clueless
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Find another nursery :-) Apple scab is not well controlled (if at all) by dormant sprays. It needs a fungicide applied during the time weather conditions are conducive to its development, generally during mild, wet springs but avoiding when the blossoms are present. At this time of year, the best you can do is practice the proper garden sanitation as jean suggests.

There is no such thing as a "disease free" plant and even more so with most fruit trees. That is like saying there are disease free humans.........:-) There are fruit varieties that tend to be more disease resistant than others but problems can still occur. Keeping plants in the best cultural health can help but it is even more important to get ones well-suited to your location. Not all fruit tree varieties work equally well in all areas. And I have never heard of a nursery that would guarantee its plants against any sort of diseases or refund those that may contract a disease down the road - s**t happens and nurseries have no control over that!

Check with your local extension service for what fruit tree varieties are best for your area. And then double check those against listed as disease resistant. I've attached an apple scab link for review.

FWIW, scab is not usually a huge problem. While it can affect the appearance of the fruit, any blemishes are typically only on the surface and do not affect the fruit itself. It is more troublesome to the foliage, as a severe infestation can promote early leaf drop and repeated years of this can seriously weaken the tree. Gravenstein is my favorite home orchard apple variety and it is extremely prone to scab. I never sprayed my tree and it had only minimal early leaf drop and the fruit was perfectly edible.

It is quite possible to grow fruit organically (without spraying) if you select the correct cultivars, tolerate some imperfection and maintain your garden tidily.

Here is a link that might be useful: IPM for apple scab

• Orchard_Clueless
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful! I wish I chose disease resistant varieties from the beginning. The only thing I was concerned at the time is trees hardiness. I will try a sulfur spray at the recommended time from the link you provided.