Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joy_division

millions of white somethings on bark of weeping cherry

joy_division
12 years ago

I was going to some pruning and noticed the underside branches were all dead. Then I noticed the entire branches were white. Millions upon millions (no exaggeration) covered the branches completely around. There were not on the leaves at all, only the bark.

They were smaller than a pencil point. Searching google didn't help me.

What are they and how do I get rid of them?

Comments (18)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Pictures would be helpful...or at the very least a much better description. What do they look like, do they move, can you rub them off, etc.?

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Tree branches seldom die only on the underside. This "white stuff" may be lichen spores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lichens

12 years ago

I read that to mean that the lower branches were all dead...the inside of this weeping tree can be very dense and the older, inside branches can die. In other words, not the 'underside OF the branches', but the underside (inside) branches.

Maybe Joy will get back to us with some pictures or a description.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Must have pictures

How to post them
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0513322013993.html?14

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post images

• joy_division
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, here is more. Pictures I do not have as they are so small it only comes out as white paint.

I can scrape them off, yes. They do not move. They don't just wipe off though; it does take some "elbow grease."

Lower branches were never dead before. This tree is like a weed. I trim it back and within a week, a foot of new growth has appeared in many places. It doesn't grow up, it grows across.

Anyway, back to these "things." Like I said, pencil point at best. It's like the bark is painted white. Total coverage, from 2 inch thick branches to little twigs.

I am going to look up lichen spores right now.

• joy_division
    Original Author
    12 years ago

definitely not lichen spores. From a distance, like I said,m looks like the branches are painted white. Must get within a few inches to see it covered in immobile white pencil points. I'll try and work some photography magic.

• hortster
    12 years ago

Lacking pictures, you might compare to white peach scale (also attacks cherry).
    hortster

12 years ago

I've been thinking peach scale, too, hortster, but without more of a description....

Peach scale doesn't really fit what little bit we know, but at least we know that it can totally cover branches.

• joy_division
    Original Author
    12 years ago

definitely not lichen spores. From a distance, like I said,m looks like the branches are painted white. Must get within a few inches to see it covered in immobile white pencil points. I'll try and work some photography magic.

• joy_division
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok, here's the pic. Don't know if it's helpful enough, but it's more helpful than no picture. I scraped of 99% of the 'stuff.'

http://gsa.freeshell.org/IMG_1073.jpg

For some reason, I no longer see a way to attach photos in gardenweb.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• joy_division
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You know what, it looks like peach scale as suggested. Thanks! am I right?

ok a forum related question. Why can I not post follow-up's anymore unless I change the subject line. I can't post photos. Why is it so hard to just post to this forum now?

• IpmMan
    12 years ago

Yes from the pictures it looks like White Prunicola or Peach scale.
    Take or send some to your local Extension service for proper ID. In the mean time hit them with horticultural oil. Hit them again with oil in the spring and again when the crawlers hatch, once identified you can find out when this is.
    Merit (imidacloprid) as a drench or soil injection will also completely control this scale but that takes time to work so don't skip the first oil application.

• hortster
    12 years ago

From the fuzzy picture, if it is indeed white peach scale I am predominately seeing the males. Females are round, also white with a tan center, under magnification looking kind of like a sunny side up egg. White peach scale is a "hard scale" which means that it is hard to kill it with insecticide unless the application coincides with the emergence of "crawlers" from beneath the females. As to the date of insecticide application, not knowing where you are and your zone, contact your extension service for the likely emergence of crawlers and what to use.
    hortster

• joy_division
    Original Author
    12 years ago

new york zone 7.

12 years ago

Sheesh, I could have sworn you said they were like small white pencil points! lol. Male peach scales, which are the white ones, are always clearly oblong in shape...quite distinctive. You took a VERY good picture. There's no other scale that looks quite like this.

I'd ask you to ponder most carefully on the recommendation of Imidicloprid drenches. This chemical would need to be applied in the spring when your plant is probably getting ready to flower and it is well known that imidicloprid is translocated to the nectar and pollen of flowering plants, making it a problem for pollinating insects and even hummingbirds.

I think that you will have quite a bit of success with your horticultural oil applications, as long as you attend to your plant three or four times over the fall, winter, and early spring. Be sure to concentrate on getting the product all over the trunk, branches and twigs...nooks and crannies and all. Please use a commercial product specially manufactured to be mixed with water to make an emulsion.

Horticultural oil applications have been the most recommended and successful remedy for a wide variety of scale insects for generations.

• joy_division
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Rhizo. You said commercial product. Where do I get a commercial version of horticultural oil?

12 years ago

You can find a wide assortment of horticultural oils at any garden center, nursery, or garden department in a big box store.

• IpmMan
    12 years ago

I could not resist adding a bit on my Recommendation for Imidacloprid but so as not to hijack this post, started a new one.

Here is a link that might be useful: The use of Imidacloprid