Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfreak_gw

Flower plum discease

cfreak
9 years ago

Hello,

I am wondering if you could help identify the problem in my flower plum tree and advice how to cure it. We planted about 1.5 years ago. I looked severe, all leaves don't seem to be normal. Some leaves have black spot. Some leaves are curl. And some have holes in them. I hope it won't die. Thank you.

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there is nothing to cure.. weeks before the leaves fall off ...

but IDing the issue is always approved ....

i cant tell on this pic.. whether this is normal stress after a long hot summer... or some actual disease ... this time of year.. as sunlight declines.. the leaves are being shut down.. and all kinds of things can attack them .. but again.. if its just a normal fall process... treatment would not be indicated ...

i seem to see a stake in there.. and wonder why the tree is still staked.. 1.5 years after planting ... how big a transplant was it????

perhaps a pic of the whole ... will help us understand the situation better....

also.. was there any drought this summer... such might cause early dormancy ...

ken

• cfreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi ken,

The issue seems to begin mid summer, the leaves are very dense at the time so I thought it was because of the dense which I will prune the tree in winter. But, it looks wide spread now. When I bought this tree, it's about 8-9 feet tall with about 1-2 inch trunk. That's why there are 2 stakes holding it. I attached the picture. We have sprinklers which water the plant about 2 times a week throughout summer. Thanks.

• fieldofflowers
    9 years ago

I'm not sure either. Could be anything. Is this a tree that can tolerate excess pollution, like car exhaust, cramped roots (often they get girdled by their own roots in such tight places), and winter salt damage of being a curbside/boulevard tree?

As far as I can see this tree looks like a great many sickly trees I see growing in such an environment. In the high traffic areas and downtown the trees look especially bad- scalded leaves, fungal diseases, viral diseases, wilting, and insect damage.

This post was edited by fieldofflowers on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 21:59

• cfreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think we have excess pollution in the area. There is not many traffic, it's a quiet area. I have apricot next to it which grow well and there seems to be no disease.

However, there was a bigger tree (~ 1 foot trunk), which died and we replaced with this tree.

I have other plants such as maples, oleander. I found oleander aphids last weekend which I removed affected branch and spray with organicide. Maples seems to be healthy, one of them has brown leaves (I hope it due to the season...)

Two trees are affected by white powder mildew. My lemon tree in the backyard has mites and last year we had leaf curl on my Mount Fuji Cherry and Peach.

I would like to ask if these are not normal that I have so many plant disease and I should contact someone to take a look?