Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny bugs in lawn crawling on us!

Posted by briangtbc GA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 20:28

My wife was playing with my 9-month old son today in the yard and suddenly noticed his legs were covered with these REALLY tiny insects. Luckily they washed off with a quick bath and there don't appear to be any bite marks or irritation on his feet and legs.

I came home and put my hand down in the grass in the same spot for about 15 seconds and immediately had dozens of these insects crawling all over my hand. I took some pictures of them crawling on my thumb. They're really tiny, so it's not real easy to determine what they are. The wife thinks they might be ticks, but I think it is unlikely as there isn't a real good source of food (animal blood) for them in our lawn. Plus I've never seen a tick this small before.

Pictures are here:
http://www.brian-chambers.com/bug1.jpg
http://www.brian-chambers.com/bug2.jpg

If anyone knows what the heck these are and whether I should be concerned, please let me know. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny bugs in lawn crawling on us!

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 22:25

Perhaps clover mites, or other sorts of mites. In any case, not a problem for people other than nuisance value. Will leave of their own accord when their "season" is past.

o

How about posting a follow-up later today or tomorrow. I thought (perhaps) your critters might be chiggers. It takes awhile for them to decide where to 'chow down'. The itching will be your clue. If you don't have any symptoms by tonight, then they aren't the dreaded chigger.

Can you tell how many legs they have?

o

If these were ticks, or chiggers, they would have immediately started sucking blood from anyone they contacted, so if they did not then they are among the some 8,000,000 insects that inhabit our world, most of which we have no reason to fear.

o

Boy, are you lucky, kimmsr, never to have suffered the indignities of a chigger attack! First of all, the insufferable itching begins after they've begun feeding and usually not until they've fallen from their prey. Secondly, most of us who have had the pleasure of experiencing a chigger (aka:redbug for southerners) infestation, know quite clearly that they are especially fond of such target areas as under waistbands of underwear, under the bra line, and even in unmentionable areas for both men and women. Yikes!

Ticks seem to wait until they find a location they like, too. I've only found them in my hair, but that is my own personal experience.

Anyway, hopefully brian and his family are doing fine today and can rest assured. I fully expect that their critter is most likely benign.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here