Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kas4_nc

what kind of worms are these??

kas4
10 years ago

...and how do I get rid of them? They're feasting on my birch tree's leaves. I've had them in prior years but in much smaller numbers. In the past I've simply cut off the tips of the affected branches and disposed of them. This year they seem to have multiplied greatly.

They're about 3/4" long, yellow with black spots. They curl up on the edges of the leaves and eat everything except the veins.

Is there a way to get rid of these pests? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• kas4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another photo.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

Looks like Birch Sawfly Caterpillars.....they can be controlled using insecticidal soap that contains Pyrethrum

Here is a link that might be useful: Birch Sawfly Caterpillars

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

deleted duplicate post

This post was edited by ians_gardener on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 7:10

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Sawflies are quite sensitive to plain insecticidal soap, which would be a less harsh treatment than with the added pesticide. Use a commercial insecticidal soap, rather than a home brewed concoction.

(The pyrethins, pyrethrums, pyrethroids are hazardous to a wide variety of non-target animals like beneficial insects, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and warm blooded critters like us.)

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

Insecticidal soap will kill young sawflies, but will not control older larva, thus the addition of pyrethins is necessary....
    Pyrethins is extracted from Chrysanthemums and so is a natural organic pesticide for insects.....breaks down rapidly and so will not affect other insects.
    It can be a problem for cats and fish, but caution can avoid poisoning.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pyrethrin

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

You are mistaken, Ian. It DOES affect other insects....anything that it might come into contact with. And the addition of the insecticidal soap is strongly synergistic.

I'm not saying not to use it, but we all need to be fully informed about the chemicals...'organic ' or not....that we use.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

I totally agree with you except that if you hit most insects with insecticidal soap...it is going to kill them.....so it is up to the user to watch that they don't hit other beneficial insects while spraying......both straight insecticidal soaps and ones with pyrethins are contact sprays....not residual like sevin etc......both break down very quickly......and don't kill bees etc after the fact.....
    With that being said, I generally pick off sawfly larva, caterpillars etc from my shrubs and roses.....but on trees where it is hard to reach and there are dozens of these chewing creatures, then I recommend spraying......if it is older sawfly larva, you need something stronger than insecticidal soap.......found this out the hard way and after reviewing the literature, found that a pyrethin additive was needed.....
    Cheers
    Ian

• ronalawn82
    10 years ago

kas4, if I spray a contact only insecticide (pyrethrum,say) against sawflies, say, how can I be sure to avoid beneficial insects? An old maxim is applicable.
    Use the most benign product at its lowest effective dose.

• Barbara Meli
    10 years ago

I had an infestation of dogwood sawfly last year on a number of shrubs and trees and rid the plants and myself of them by hand picking and throwing them into soapy water.

• kas4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of the great responses. So far I've been controlling these by removing them manually. However, they've gotten to the upper branches which I cannot reach even with my pole lopper fully extended and standing on a step ladder. The tree is about 30' high. My sprayer won't reach that height either. Any suggestions?

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012