Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mites on jasmine

Posted by HelloPandaNF none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 20, 11 at 22:40

Sorry I can't post a picture, but I'll describe them best as I can...

They're red to black, very circular,and they move pretty slowly when provoked. I'm pretty sure they make these white-brown rows of bumps split out from the along the stem, too and smaller ones tend to be on light-colored new leaves. The new leaves are turning brown as soon as they come out, and spraying soap water doesn't kill many...

Sorry for the vague explanation, i don't have a magnifying glass. what are they and HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mites on jasmine

You really need to post a picture. Perhaps a friend or neighbor can help.

If you need the how-to , use this
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0513322013993.html?14

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post images

o

Pick off o leaf with these on it, seal it in a olastic sandwhich bag, and take it to your local office of your state universities Cooperative Extension Service.
Whether a soap water spray will be effective or not depends on whether soap, or detergent, was used in the mix and what the strength of the mix was. Commercial Insecticidal Soaps have a mixture that is 2 percent solution of potassium salts of fatty acids and a mix of about 1 teaspoon of a real soap mixed into 1 quart of water will be about that. However an Insecticidal Soap is not necessarily a cure all and works on some insect pests but not others, which is why proper ID is necessary.

o

jean001a I don't have a camera strong enough to capture them, that's why I can't post any pictures.

The plant has some seed pods, so I might just try to start with them. Oh well...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here