Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help IDing insect eggs

Posted by ajwalsh Northern Cal 10a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 12, 06 at 23:14

Hi. I'm new to gardening, so please bear with me. I started an herb garden in containers ~1 month ago. All are kept outside. This morning I found tiny, white, round insect eggs, ~1-1.5 mm in diameter, on the underside of leaves of some of my plants. Mainly, my mints have be affected. I found very few eggs on my greek oregano and marjoram, and none on my basil, purple sage, and, surprisingly, my pineapple mint. I don't think my lemon verbena had any eggs either. Anyway, the eggs are laid singly, not en masse. And on many leaves, I found only a single egg and at most 5-6 eggs clustered together per leaf. I didn't see a preference as to which leaves on the plant were affected (new leaves compared to old leaves). Also, I didn't find any insects on the leaves (no flies or caterpillars) and no webs. The eggs came off the leaves very easily, no stickiness what-so-ever. I'd really appreciate help IDing which insect is doing this. I removed all the eggs off the leaves that I could find. I just hope it's not a beneficial bug. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help IDing insect eggs

can you describe the eggs, other than not being stickee???

ken

o

have fun with the link ... ken

Here is a link that might be useful: bug egg IMAGES at google

o

Identifying insect eggs from a verbal description is pretty difficult unless the eggs have some unusual feature. At 1-1.5 mm., they are pretty good size for an insect. Your growing season is not nearly over as ours is here, so I would expect the eggs to hatch fairly soon. It would be helpful to know what kind of creature comes out of the eggs.

o

• Posted by ajwalsh Northern California (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 16, 06 at 17:24

Hi. I posted the same message with a photo on a different forum. I couldn't post a photo with this message because I didn't have the resizing software at the time. I suspect that they are butterfly eggs. I found one in my grapefruit mint yesterday. Didn't have my camera with me, or else I would have taken a photo it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect eggs

o

Again, you really won't know for sure unless you observe them until they hatch. Many insect eggs can look quite similiar.

o

Outside on the top of our house ceiling there are eggs. I'm sure they're eggs! I don't know what they are even though i searched the internet so many times! They're in a cluster and they're black and hairy. What are they?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here