Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atenea_gw

Please, what is this?

Atenea
10 years ago

Hello, Everybody.
I need some help. For the last month I've seen these little bugs on the back of the leaves of my Chinese forget-me-not, there are hundreds.
The plant looks healthy and keeps growing but I just saw pictures of Aphids and they look so alike! Now I'm worried they will devour everything.
Maybe you can tell me if that's what they are. They barely move and when they do they're really slow, they stay on the leaves closer to the ground and they don't fly, so far. I have vegetables, trees and other flowers, none of them have these bugs.
Sorry the pictures aren't too good, it's just that the're very small.
Thank you so much!

Comments (5)

• Atenea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Aphids, big ones and their babies. The white specks are the cast-off exoskeletons of smaller ones, a process required by arthropods so that they can grow.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

bugs attack stressed plants ...

if your ID is correct.. and this is a biennial FMNot ... perhaps you just get rid of the plants ...

a bit extreme in worrying about your whole yard ...

many treatment options for these .. organic to chemical.. but one thing to drill in your head... they are all kill sprays ... so do NOT spray the whole yard.. prophylacticly ... that is OVERkill ...

if you were up here in MI.. i would suggest.. the first frost would get rid of them.. i dont know how that works down in your zone ... they are not a winter bug in my part of the world ....

put away the panic.. and the drama ... everyone had aphids... its just a matter of when a population spikes and they become apparent ... you worry they will devour everything ... but they cant.. they are suckers...

do some research .... and good luck

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Bugs also attack perfectly healthy plants...especially if those plants are on their 'favorites' list. Aphids seem to be especially democratic in their choices. A healthy plant is much more able to bounce back after a pest attack, to tolerate a big ol' aphid fest.

Atenea can put a real dent in the aphid population by using one hand to turn the leaves to expose the underside and the other hand to direct a spray of plain water to wash those little things away. Most of us employ a little squishing action, too. A couple of treatments a week will keep them to a manageable population.

If I had a healthy looking favorite plant, with some weeks to go before a heavy frost, I'd take the hose to those aphids!

• agardenstateof_mind
    10 years ago

A good hosing down works very well for aphids. They're slow movers so will expire before they can climb back onto the plant to resume feeding. Frost also works.

Another effective method is flour, ordinary cooking flour. Dust the aphids (I put some in an old stocking for a fine, even distribution) then come back about an hour later and they'll all have died and shriveled up. Don't know the exact reason. Someone suggested it clogs their spiracles (breathing holes), someone else believes that it simply dehydrates these very soft-bodied insects. I lean towards the latter explanation. In any event, it's unlikely this method will harm anything else, including yourself or any pets.

If you will be bringing inside any houseplants you've had outside through the summer, check those very carefully to be sure they are clean of any infestation before bringing them indoors.