Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pest or disease?

Posted by rogerydh none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 5:25

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies.

I apologize for the bad photo posted. Please see my new posting, as picture attachments are not allowed in followup replies.

The picture is the underside of a fallen leaf. I have more pictures but it seems I am limited to one picture upload?

Thanks in advance!

Image link: pest or disease? (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pest or disease?

Do you find these just on the plant leaves or are they also on the plant stems?

o

rogerydh, towards the bottom of the leaf, along the midrib, there is a brown spot which reminds me of a scale insect. I found a picture of similar on this site.
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/pi/enpp/ento/poliapsis_cycadis.html

o

@Kimmsr,

Yes. Its on the leaves and on the stems.

@ronalawn82,

I looked at the site and it does look like it. I am a total newbie to this. Does that mean its a pest called Scale? :)

Guess I will go get another type of pesticide.. :)

Thanks a million!

o

If they're scale, that means nothing, short of physically rubbing them off, will work unless the recently hatched crawlers are moving.

If the rest of the plant is as heavily infested as the ONE leaf, then you would be wise to avoid pesticides and replace the plant.

o

The most common method of control for scale is the use of a horticultural oil spray, a dormant oil when the plants are dormant or a superior oil during the growing season. Because these oils do kill insects they are pesticides but are usually distinguished from pesticides for more clarity. Most any pesticide you use could kill off the predators of scale, although I have seen some reports that Neem Oil products have helped control scale sometimes.

o

Sprays against scale are effective when the crawlers (new hatchlings) are out & about.

o

Oil does work against all stages of scale, though as Jean001a says it is most effective when the crawlers are active.
When I have a scale problem I usually Oil when I first see it, then when the crawlers hatch and again in the next spring and or fall. This almost always gets me 100% control.
Remember though that oil has to cover completely to control anything.

o

rogerydh, try this site. Look especially at Control Methods at the end of the document.
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/fasulo/woodypest/scales.htm
Come back if you need additional information.

o

Here is another site with info on scales, you can also id other common insects www.bugsinthegarden.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Bugs in the Garden

o

Justin, I don't mean to be critical, but the information about scale insects in that website is limited in the extreme. So limited, in fact, that it is misleading.

I'm kinda scared to look at the other entries, if what is presented about scale is any example.

Ron's fact sheet is a good one and there are plenty of others like it published by every extension department in the country. Most of them are pretty darned good!

o

Umm, I suspect Justin added that link because he's trying to promote it. He announced that fact in the post "Help!" at http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg11123400384.html

o

UhOh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here