Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethherbs

White blotches/possible mold on Rosemary and Mint

ElizabethHerbs
10 years ago

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my rosemary and mint. Today is my birthday, so responses that cure them would be a great gift!

I don't know whether I got bad soil or have an insect problem or what. A couple months ago I planted chives, basil, rosemary, and mint, all in separate pots. They all seemed to be doing fine for the first month or so. I brought the basil inside because I wanted to use it more frequently, and it soon got white fuzz near the base of the stems and ultimately died. I then took it outside and brought in the three other herbs. The chives are fine, but the rosemary and mint seem to be developing the same problem. The mint had a moldy looking stem, which I cut off. The rest of the plant looks better, but some leaves seem infected. The rosemary (which is a huge bush, not a small plant like the others) looks fine at the roots, but the leaves are developing a white, blotchy look. One picture is attached. I've also noticed little bugs flying around... not sure if that is related. Thank you!

Comments (12)

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

The spores that cause Powdery Mildew are spread by the wind, some of the spores are killed by too much water. Powdery Mildew looks and acts somewhat like Talcum Powder or flour dusted on the leaves and most of the spores can grow in moderate temperatures and low humidity conditions.
    I have found that a 50/50 mixture of fat free milk and water, or 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 quart of water, does a good job of controlling Powdery Mildew.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Powdery Mildew

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

in my z5 MI .. which is like much of z5 MA... they will be frosted to the ground within a few weeks ...

and i wouldnt treat them indoors ...

frankly.. its your birthday ... chuck them all.. and go buy some clean fresh stock.. potted for indoors ...

these are food plants.. IMHO ... there is no FAST cure... as it will take weeks or months to be done with it... see the beauty of new bday gifts ...

i suspect you are a newbie on some level.... you should have been prepping this process of taking them indoors starting about 9/1 ... with various methods...

so that you would have a clean plant.. with clean media.. ready for indoors..

its not really as simple as just dragging them indoors...

HB and good luck

ken

ps: back on 9/1 ... i would have sterilized some soil .. and rooted some new.. vibrant .. fresh stock ... and once fully rooted.. used those indoors.. leaving the old yard plants outside ... you dont mention other than a big plant.. but soil.. dirt .. indoors is a nightmare.. bringing in disease and bugs .... GO SHOPPING ..!! ...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday!

I didn't see a picture of the mint, so can't comment on that, but I don't see PM on the rosemary. That looks like the stippling caused by spider mites, which are very common on rosemary.

Your primary problem, however, is that herbs really don't do well when grown inside PERIOD.....and especially don't like being brought inside for the winter. Plants will languish to the brink of death ; they'll explode with the pest and disease problems that were in check outside.

Please visit the Herb Forum for further confirmation of the inside issues.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 11:57

10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 11:53

• ElizabethHerbs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I did notice some spiders, so could that be a sign of spider mites? And would that also impact the mint or is that just a rosemary thing? Here is the picture of the mint in case that helps. I've brought my potted herbs indoors for the winter for the last 5+ years with no problem. Maybe I was just lucky? Another possibly helpful detail -- when my basil was inside (before it died with some moldy looking stuff), mushrooms kept growing. I had to scoop them out every few days. Never seen anything like that before.

10 years ago

hi liza ... thx for teh personal note ... but the conversation continues here..

link to sterilizing media .. i have used both the microwave.. and the oven .. depending on how much i needed ...

always dampen the media first.. small amount in a gallon baggie ... when steam forms.. good enough

big amount.. dollar store turkey tray.. heap media in it.. cover with dollar store alum foil... poke a few holes.. when steam escapes at 212 degrees.. good enough ...

it really helps to do it a few days in advance.. to let it cool ...

liza told me she moved from VA to MA ... her timing is perfect for VA .. i think shes late for MA ... i havent had frost yet.. but have been within a few degrees.. plants are shutting down ... it might be big time shock to take them in the house.. and stressed plants get bad stuff.. like mildews ...

the other variables in the house. during winter.. is humidity.. or lack of it ... with a forced air furnace ... at 30% humidifier setting.. your windows will be sweating.. and your plants will think its not enough ... note this when you compare your winter heating bills between VA and MA .. lol ...

also.. sunlight levels.. which you have some experience with ...

and proper media moisture with the furnace leading to fungus gnats ...let your plants NEAR DRY in between waterings...

its going to be a whole new world in the snow belt .... for you ...

my last thought.. its much easier to treat a small plant.. i might .. experimenting.. cut them down to 3 inches .... and treat the tiny plant.. and if i got lucky.. they might recover ... its a lot simpler than treating a large plant ...

but if you already have bugs in the media ...... i dont know what to tell you ... there is nothing more irritating than fighting gnats.. indoors.. in a hermetically sealed.. furnace driven house.. in the great white north ... short of chemicals .... which i put in my house plants 6 weeks ago.. outdoors.. BUT I DO NOT HAVE EDIBLE PLANTS ... which rules out the best cure ...

its not that it cant be done.. subject to my friends suggestions.. all i am trying to express.. is that one option.. is to chuck them all and start over ... if and when.. you feel you are on the edge of your head exploding.. lol ... growing your stuff is supposed to be relaxing.. not having you tear out your hair ...

good luck and HB ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

10 years ago

The spots on the mint just don't look like PM to me. But I can't say for sure what they are without seeing them in person.

Spider mites are not the same as spiders. The mites are nearly microscopic and prefer to hang out on the underside of the leaves where they suck plant juices. That's what causes the little white spots on the upper side of the foliage.

Examine the underside of the leaves with a magnifying glass....the mint and the rosemary. You will be able to see the tiny crawlies that way. In the meantime, Google spider mites so that you can become more familiar with them.

If these were my plants, I would have never brought them inside in the first place. Partly for the reason mentioned earlier and partly for fear of contaminating valuable indoor plants. Both plants are very inexpensive as fresh, healthy plants.

Spider mites are universal and indiscriminate. PM is not. The mushroom is the only thing that isn't harmful to your plants. It's a sign that that particular fungus is feeding on your potting medium, not the plants. What killed your basil was being brought inside.

The insects flying around are likely fungus gnats, especially if they are mostly around the plants. The flying adults lay eggs in moist or peaty potting medium and the larvae feed on tender roots. Other insects are possible, but without more information, I can't help.

• ElizabethHerbs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input. There were no other plants inside that these could contaminate. The only plants I ever grow are herbs. I guess I will just have to give up on them for the year because I don't think any stores around here are still selling herbs that I can start fresh with. So for next year, you all are advising that I buy one set of herbs for outside and then a separate set for inside? And I should sterilize the soil for the indoor ones? Any other tips? Really appreciate it!

• eaga
    10 years ago

Just want to comment on availability of herbs in the winter - check better garden centers in your area. As soon as the mums and pumpkins are gone, fresh herb plants are often available for the winter holiday season, grown and sold for gift-giving and home decor, especially rosemary.

10 years ago

Beware of the rosemary during Xmas. The pretty pyramidal trees that are so often sold as indoor Xmas trees are not grown as edibles and may be treated with chemicals.

Ken is the only one I know of who 'sterilizes' potting soil , lol. If you do so, you MUST have a thermometer to keep accurate readings of the soil temp. Anything much over 200ðF can create dangerous fumes.

Your oven may never smell the same, by the way. And NEVER bake a soil with additives such as fertilizer, moisture release crystals, etc. All of the ingredients will be listed on the label.

10 years ago

I guess I will just have to give up on them for the year because I don't think any stores around here are still selling herbs

==>> only if your sources is bigboxstore ... try some higher end nurseries... there is this old technology.. called a phone.. make some calls ... lol ...

=====

Ken is the only one I know of who 'sterilizes' potting soil , lol. If you do so, you MUST have a thermometer to keep accurate readings of the soil temp. Anything much over 200ðF can create dangerous fumes.

==>> hence the suggestion of condensation forming at 212 degrees ..

let me put it this way ... if you did the jiffy pop version.. when you smell it.. that means steam has been created ... so turn off the oven.. and take the stuff outside to cool ...

BTW... gallon baggie... is left open... no pressure ...

======

Ken is the only one I know

==>>> ken must be the only one.. who had a bazillion fungus gnats one winter ... and had to end up bug bombing the house.. because i couldnt see the hockey game on tv due to the swirling clouds of such ...

i figured out how to never have them again ... thru proper water management... and making sure none were brought in in the first place ...

ken

ps: when you are running something like this with hosta seedlings... with 5 trays like this.. one gnat.. soon means a million ... sterilizing also reduced molds... mildews ... and algae ... the only thing growing in my media.. was what i put in it.. and also.. i let them near dry ...
    {{gwi:3461}}