Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Predators of ants?

I've seen anoles eat a lot of other critters, but even the babies don't seem interested in eating ants. After 5 years here, I can't stand it anymore and I've had to get some ant bait things. I can't wait any longer for nature to balance this problem out. Not fire ants, just regular little brown ones. They swarm into potted plants (and back out when I water,) and I always have to be careful where I am stepping to make sure my leg isn't being covered with ants. Often I have to stop weeding a particular area, or stick my shovel in the dirt or pick up a rock and have to evacuate that area from the ant swarm I've caused. Trying to harvest compost from compost pile is tricky and not always possible unless one wants to be covered in ants. There are always trails of them marching from place-to-place, millions of them.

Are there no critters that prey on ants? They seem to be multiplying and thriving completely unchecked.

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Lots and lots of feed on ants....but they can still get outta control sometimes. Let's see, the first that comes to mind are birds. Many different kinds of birds like ants...as a matter of fact, our Alabama state bird, the Yellowhammer, feeds primarily on ants. Then, you have your anoles and other lizards, toads, hunting spiders, and a whole passel of insects.

I know that you are not a chemical user and also know that you enjoy a rich and abundant mixture of all of the above. Sometimes, in spite of everything, the balance gets weighted in favor of a pest. When a population of ants is so high that the quality of your life is compromised.....you've got to regain the upper hand.

I'm going to suggest that you establish some locations around your yard for baiting stations. Have you tried Amdro? It is most famous for the control of fire ants, but is labeled for others ants, as well. I like Amdro for three reasons : it works great; you only need to use a very small amount at a time; and the ants take it into their nests within a few minutes so that other things can't get to it. If you can locate two or three highly traveled pathways or even ant hills, you could effect some control.

You can't use Amdro around edible plants but anywhere else is fair game. I've used it many times and trust that it can be used safely. I don't use chemicals readily, either.

You're not interested in getting rid of all the ants....not even most of them! You should be able to function in your own yard, though.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

always have to be careful where I am stepping to make sure my leg isn't being covered with ants.

===>>> oh for Gods sake purp ... at this point.. i would be going nuclear .. not hoping and praying for change ...

find the appropriate chemical.. and nuke the property .. and stay the heck out of it for winter.. which is probably 15 minutes in january for you'all ... lol

whats next.. they are in the bassinet with the baby ... but you just want to relocate them ... because they have kin in the area?????

you know.. i am all in for ignoring most things ... and reacting once or twice a year if there is some GREAT PLAGUE .. but my God woman.. they are infesting your legs to the detriment of your ability to garden.. and you want to play nice...

shazamm ...

back in the day.. it used to be diazonon granules.. spread on the lawn.. no clue if that is current .. or what the alternatives may be ... you could also use that other stuff.. and in the way back machine it was there all good stuff .. and its been so long i forgot all the names.. oh.. malithion ... and.. wait for it... crimminey. it will come to me as soon as i turn off the 'puter ... lol ... maybe i will keep typing ... man this stuff was so good.. that dad put it down in the late 60's .. and we are still looking for ants.. now that is some powerful stuff .. still not coming to me ... [some unique spellings on these old names.. lol] .... theme from jeopardy going thru my head .... aw heck.. i am just going to go over the the neighbors barn.. and find out.. lol .. GOT IT ====>>> Chlordane ....

wow .. i think i just heard rhiz'z head explode here in adrian MI .. lol ...

listen.. you are at plague level.. take care of it .. call orkin/terminex.. have them spray the foundation .. the foundation beds.. etc.. and apply a granule to the lawn.. and relearn how to enjoy your garden ... at this point in time.. it seems.. TO ME.. to be worth the investment ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Your valium prescription run out, Ken? ( just kidding) And when did YOU become such bugiphobe? (Not kidding)

Seriously, purple knows that if she were to nuke her property with broad spectrum pesticides, she'd be setting herself up for an ant population explosion like she has never seen. Ants, when they reach true nuisance levels, need to be controlled in a manner that affects the ants....and not everything else on the planet.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

boom... lol ...

naw.. just felt it was time for some questionable humor ... lol ...

now.. rhiz.. you said this: when they reach true nuisance levels, need to be controlled

and i suppose covering her legs is not quite there for you.. yet???

when exactly will it reach that level, in your world .. when they carry off the dog ... and start stocking the fridge??? when they start throwing antal [new word there] frat keggers in the back yard.. ala animal house????

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well this is not only informative, we were cracking up reading this last night. Hilarious! I want to quote Ken, but I'd just end up pasting the whole thing. Some of your best work, dude.

And the informative... I need to find out more about these yellowhammer birds and why they are slacking. What about
    Carolina wrens? There's a lot of those around. What would make them more interested in hanging around? Had one build a nest in the old-school wall-mount mailbox in the front porch this spring... still trying to figure out what ate the eggs. And good point about not putting much stuff near where we've got food growing.

I got some of those little bait things they're supposed to find full of irresistible poison to take back to the nest but lost interest in waiting to see one go inside after a few minutes. Put it right in the middle of a popular pathway...

Has anyone actually seen an anole eat a small ant? There's one of the ants in question near the top of this stem.