Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new leaves on fiddleleaf fig has clusters of small red dots

Posted by patchesnbrownie 6B (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 11:05

Hello!

I had recently posted a question on this forum regarding my fiddleleaf fig tree and it was diagnosed as a general transplant shock. I had another question. The tree seems to be doing better (phew!) and sprouting out new leaves everywhere! BUT. The new leaves have clusters of these little rusty colored dots. They are shiny and just in the leaves (can be seen from front and back) but is NOT fuzzy or fungus-y. So I don't think it's rust. These dots are mostly just in the newest leaves...

Should I be concerned? What is going on??

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

Image link: new leaves on fiddleleaf fig has clusters of small red dots (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
PS... close up shot

Here is a close up shot! Please see the other photo on my original msg above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Close up photo

o
RE: new leaves on fiddleleaf fig has clusters of small red dots

I did some research because I think I'm having the same problem. I believe the problem may be under watering. Here's what I found at http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/ficus.htm:

"Excessive moisture stress

Symptoms -
Small reddish spots, 1-3mm across, on the undersides of leaves of F. lyrata. The symptom is usually observed on stock plants in full sun which have been air layered, and most frequently during the driest months of December through June. This condition is rare on plants grown in shade. Leaves on wilted layers or cuttings of F. elastica, and possibly some other species, remain in relaxed orientation after normal moisture content is restored. This is a permanent condition. Branches of trees in an active state of growth may bend under moisture stress, then partially recover, leaving a permanent kink or "dogleg" in the stem.
Control -
Severe moisture stress can usually be avoided through good nursery practices. Leaf spotting can be prevented by timely irrigation of stock and use of the vertical slit technique of air layering versus the girdling procedure. Permanent petiole wilt and stem kinking can be avoided with adequate soil moisture and high humidity during propagation.

Prevention of excessive root development outside the container eliminates most of the shock that occurs when large segments of root are severed from plants because roots extend into soil below the pot. Use of plastic ground covers, drip irrigation and root pruning during production usually eliminates root pruning shock when plants are removed."
It could be something else, but I'm gonna try to water more and see what happens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus Production Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here