Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gibberish_gw

Ants in Hawaiian Ti plant, indoors

Gibberish
9 years ago

THis was out 1st year gardening and raising house plants.
I DID make a few mistakes in thinking I COULD handle warm weather plants as it got cold, by bringing them in.
1st issue was light, 2nd is forgetting to water them regularly. I told the wife we need to sell the wintering plants in the spring and just stay away from tropical items :)
But my issue
I have a 5' tall Hawaiian Ti plant. It is in a 42" round ,30 gallon pot. Safe to say it has a weight of around 90-110lbs due to the pottery and dirt.
We have had our pest man out twice this month due to ants. This morning my son realized the ants were actually coming from the Hawaiian Ti, living in the soil, a colony I assume.
This thing it too massive to drag through the house and place in a tub. I mean, add a few gallons of water to cover the soil area would add another 20-30lbs to it, if I read the previous posts in other threads on how to remove them.
I debated on using the sticky barrier method but it seems like it may be a real pain due to the number of plants in the pot.
Does anyone know of a Terro or pesticide product, I can place in the plant that would kill a colony ?
I am hesitant about direct application of anything that would affect the PH of the plant as keeping this thing alive where I live, between 2 ridges with serious sun issues, is going to be bad enough without adding toxicity to the list as an issue or PH.

Anyway, any advice from someone who has had this issue would be great

Comment (1)