Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what are those clear jelly-like eggs under the mulch?

Posted by quirkpod 7 Lewisville NC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 2, 06 at 11:28

They are smaller than a pea and seem to have a dark speck inside them. Are they worm eggs, snail eggs or what? I put them in a jar and plan to watch them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what are those clear jelly-like eggs under the mulch?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 2, 06 at 13:53

Perhaps slugs.

But please tell us what develops!
:>)

o

I'd agree that the best possibility would be slugs, though their eggs are quite a bit smaller than a pea. More like BB or shotgun pellets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slug eggs

o

i like to think of slug eggs the size of the big end of a pin ... my slugs anyway ...lol .. they have BIG slugs in the pacific NW ... try google.com for 'slug eggs' ... then hit the IMAGES button at the top ... rhizo's picture makes them look too silver .. they are more like tiny fish eggs.. see through ... slightly cloudy ....

spray with 10% ammonia or vinegar ... they dont need the opposite sex .. so every egg you kill is 100 progeny the following summer ... use the SEARCH function at the hosta forum where we have hit this subject a couple hundred times ...

good luck.. death to slugs.. ken

o

You're right....that image is too silvery looking. I've only seen them appearing milky/transparent. But bigger than the head of a pin. ;-)

QP, I do hope that you will report back to us when these things hatch!

o

Tue, Oct 3, 06 at 12:57

The "silvery" appearance in the above linked photo is the shine reflected from moist clear eggs.

At least around here, slug eggs are clear whereas snail eggs are opaque.

o
RE: more images

link to google images

Here is a link that might be useful: slug eggs

o

I'd say slugs too, hense the reason I remove my mulch in fall and only lay it back down again after a hard frost (Nov.); time enough for them and other critters: earwigs, voles, mice, ect. to take up home elsewhere. In spring I remove it again and then re-lay after the rainy cloudy weather has ceased in mid June. Here in Eastern WA slugs seem to more of an issue in spring and fall when we get our rains.

Vera

o

Sun, Oct 8, 06 at 23:09

vera,

That's a tad extreme way to deal with slugs. It's worth knowing that they overwinter in places other than mulch. One common site are the cracks and crevices in the soil. So, basically, you're putting too much effort into it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here