Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannies_garden

Jessamine carolina leaf curl

jeannies_garden
11 years ago

What could be causing the new leaves to be smaller and curling? Thanks Jeannie :)

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Hmmmm, is it just me? This doesn't look like Gelsemium sempervirens to me.....but sometimes pictures can be deceiving. Anyway, when I see deformed foliage like this, especially on new growth, I think of the work of one of a number of pests.

Leaf miners, thrips, eriophyid mites, and even aphids can cause just that kind of deformity on 'new-born ' leaves. Herbicides can also cause leaf curl but I think that this is critter caused.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

you have a digital camera.. keep taking pix until you get a clear pic.. doesnt the camera have a review button???

come on your killing my eyes over these posts.. lol ..

it is getting on late october.. even in TX.. why not a cold snap???

ken

• jeannies_garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plant was purchased as a Jessamine carolina staked, so I'm assuming it should be growing as a vine in the future. Ken-Sorry that's the best I can do on pics....maybe I should of worn my glasses when I took the shots! Still in the 80's and 90's here. Thanks, Jeannie :)

11 years ago

Ken, if that is Carolina Jessamine, it's a broadleaf evergreen.....solidly hardy in colder climates than what zone 9 will bring. I suspect that Jeannie won't see a 'cold snap ' for a mighty long time. :-)

Jeannie, if you can show me more pictures of this plant, I might be able to be convinced about what it is. What do the flowers look like?

• jeannies_garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It never has had any blooms. I purchased it about 3 months ago at a Lowes. I've seen whiteflies around it and I have a huge Confederate Rose hibiscus on side of the house that is full of whiteflies (been fighting them most of the summer). Could that be what is causing the curling leaves?Thanks, Jeannie :)

11 years ago

I don't know what kind of plant it is, but it's not Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina Jessamine). I think that I see leaf miner trails in some of those new leaves, but am not sure. The curling not caused by whitefly. I already listed the usual culprits.

Carolina Jessamine has smooth, narrow leaves, arranged in pairs.

You might consider posting this on the Name This Plant Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Jessamine

11 years ago

if you have had it for 3 months.. why is it still potted???

the media might be failing ... not draining properly.. not enough fert/ too much.. etc. ...

and frankly.. whatever it is.. it looks pretty happy to me ... hey... that last pic is beautiful ... congrats ... lol

leafminer.. pshaw.. as i have said before.. that is variegation.. in my world.. lol ...

plant it in mother earth.. and i bet all your problems will be gone by next spring ...

and the miners are probably gone too.. by now ...

ken

• jeannies_garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I purchased it to put in a larger pot. DH is thinking we will be moving since the 3 kids are now on their own (we don't need this size of a home) so....why plant it in the ground? Thanks, Jeannie :)

11 years ago

there is no reason NOT to keep it potted..

but potting media is not forever ...

so pot it into the next size pot ... knock off some of the old media .. and add new .. around the roots ...

growing shrubs in pots.. should not be that hard ... but there are some minimal requirements as the shrubs grows ... let me put it this way.. there is no reason you cant make it live in a pot for a long time.. but getting it to perform perfectly in a pot.. can be tricky ...

most shrubs are very aggressive.. growing fast ... and big.. so trying to keep them corralled in a pot .. again.. can be tricky ...

good luck!!!!

ken

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH