Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these pests???

Posted by DavieGardener-zone10 10, Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 12:03

I think they might be centipedes. I have them all over my yard and even into my house. How do I get rid of them? Do they bite? I've found some strange purple marks on my skin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these pests???

Looks like a millipede, to me, even though we can't see all of the legs! I am not aware that they bite.

o

i am not aware of them doing anything.. other than furthering the composting process.. eating dead material ...

but then.. i didnt google them today ...

ken

o

Davie, if they're coming inside you need to put in some new weather stripping around all of your doors and maybe windows. Sweep them up when you find them.

I used to have all kinds of 6, 8, and zillion legged creatures coming inside from our attached garage until we replaced the weather stripping. In other words, you need to prevent them from gaining access.

o

I found one today crawling up my bed! I did confirm they are rusty millipedes. Seems that they are pretty harmless but they creep me out. I think a lot come through my sliders and I don't know how to weather strip them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here