Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New insects in garden: pests or beneficial?

Posted by sheckylovejoy So Cal Zone 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 13:15

They are very pretty, but something tells me they will kill everything in their path. At the moment I only see two of them out in the garden. They are about a cm long. Photo attached

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New insects in garden: pests or beneficial?

put on asbestos gloves.. and pick them off.. before they do the nasty and start laying eggs ...

who cares what they are.. lol ...

ken

ps: pick them off.. put in a plastic bag.. run over with car... encase in cement.. and send to the landfill ...

Here is a link that might be useful: check this out

o

Thanks. They've been disposed of. I live dangerously, so I skipped the asbestos gloves.

o

That's the nymph of the Southern Green Stinkbug.

o

so I skipped the asbestos gloves.

==>> but you did the rest.. right?? ... lol ...

google images of eggs and nymphs.. and keep an eye out..

ken

o

That IS the nymph. Shecky needs to look for the green adults. Searching for eggs is a totally great idea.

o

i missed your post rhiz .. relax..

he needs to look for YOUNGER NYMPHS.. like at the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

This link may be of some use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stink Bugs

o

Thanks again for all the help. I found 4 of them on one flower, but so far no eggs. There were plain green bugs and also the ones with the lovely markings. They are sealed up and buried in the trash.

Do they cause damage to plants, or are they just stanky? I don't see any damage to the plant they were on.

Thanks again

o

Yep, insects like stinkbugs cause plant damage. They stick their little needlelike mouthparts into the plant and remove plant sap. If there is a lot of feeding going on, plant health can be seriously compromised.

That's why it is important that you regularly look for egg clusters. Those pretty nymphs don't fly....they had to have hatched from eggs somewhere on that very plant. And the green adults are the ones laying the eggs.

These insects suck plant juices at all stages of life, by the way.

o

Thanks again. I keep looking, but see no eggs on that plant, though it is pretty big. FWIW, it's pretty healthy right now. I will, however, remain vigilant

o

As written in the article linked above, "Damage - Stink bugs inflict mechanical injury to the seed as well as transmit the yeast-spot disease organism. The degree of damage caused by this pest depends to some extent on the developmental stage of the seed when it is pierced by the stink bug's needlelike mouthparts. The younger the seed when damaged, the greater the yield reduction. Although late season infestations may not affect yield, bean oil content and germination will be reduced."

o

i had them on gourds last year.. a nice large 10 foot square plant ... and i watched.. from egg mass hatch.. thru maturity.. as they simply sucked the life out of the plant.. which slowly shriveled and died ... which i didnt care ... it was better than TV.. lol ..

it should not be hard to see large clusters of eggs.. when and if they happen ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here