Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klara_gw

English ivy pests

klara
16 years ago

Hi,

I have recently bought a few English ivy plants, but within a few weeks i noticed tiny bugs in miniature spiderwebs in the leaves. Shortly afterwards, the leaves turned brown and dry, and eventually fell down. The entire plants were dead very quickly - what are these bugs and how can I get rid of them? How can I make sure that the next English ivy plan I buy stays alive for more than a few weeks?

Thanks,

Klara

Comments (2)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

The primary pest of English Ivy houseplants is the dreaded spider mite. Many people refuse to bring these plants into the home for that very reason! ME, for example, lol.

The easiest way to get rid of spider mites on this plant is to fling it as far away from your house as you can and never get another one. Fire does a good job, too. You could try putting your plants in a blender and giving them a whirl, but I expect that the mites would come back.

Seriously, you can begin an assortment of regular treatments as soon as you walk in the door with your next one. This could include spraying with an alcohol and water solution, insecticidal soap, neem oil, etc. Be sure to concentrate your efforts on the under side of all of the leaves, as this is where mites tend to congregate.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Provided you don't bring the plant back from the store or nursery already infested (a very good possibility in about 90% of the cases), a good preventative measure is misting your plant or a twice weekly rinse in the shower or under a spray of water. Increasing the humidity and keeping the plant clean and free of dust will go a long way in reducing spider mite problems.

Personally, I like Rhizo's technique :-) There are far better and lower care requirement houseplants available and English ivy should never be planted outdoors in a large part of the country. Opt for something different next time!