Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hydrotyler

what pest is this!?

hydrotyler
13 years ago

hello eveyone. today i found a pest on one of my sunflowers. i dont really know what it is. it looks like some pest but not exactly.. my friend sent me a pic of a pest but he couldnt tell me what it was he said he had never seen one but it looks just like the pic. if anyone could help that would be great.

Comments (9)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Looks like some type of stink bug.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Is this it?? Pictures 5 and 6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scentless Plant Bug - Harmostes species

• jean001
    13 years ago

No. The pattern on the top surface is quite different.

• hydrotyler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i think it might be. its hard to tell som times cuz not all bugs look the same. mine had black on the back but i think its safe to gess thats prob it. i also have noticed splits int the lower stem of my flowers. is this normal for young sunflowers or might this pest be layin eggs inside of my flower?

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

One could have different colors depending on the age or sex of the bug. Though I think it is safe to say they are at least in the same family.

I do not know if it is laying eggs but the nymphs hatch in spring they say soapy water and a good douse should remove or treat a small infestation. Are the sunflowers hardy in your area??

Either way a lot of flying insects respond to a simple spray bottle of water with some dish washing liquid mixed in. The soap help penetrates the natural wax coating on the wings and it prevents it from being able to fly therefore they end up dieing.

Here are some more pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scentless Plant Bug - Harmostes species 2

• jean001
    13 years ago

The picture you posted looks like the lygusbug. That doesn't mean it's what you have on your sunflower.

Can you post an image of your critter? Or at the very least describe it to us as to size, color, and damage you see occurring?

At this late date, I doubt that whatever it is needs to be managed.

• hydrotyler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i live in fla but im growing my sunflowers inside with with a semi controled inverment so idk if the season thing really matters. and no i i was testing this organic spray on him after he was captured to see if it would atleast do the trick(i only found one so i tried to stop it erly) we was vary small alittle bigger than a flea. he jusmped around like one too. he (or i should say it) was a lime green with black on it wings. i thought it might havebeen a lygus bug but again with all the varibels its hard to tell. this pic is the closest thing that iv seen to what my pest looked like. as far as damage there are spots on the leaves where it was eating and titny dak spots but every thing was minamal. also the splitting stem but idk if this is unrelated.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Sounds like one of the many species of leaf hopper, to me. There are no stinkbugs of any kind that are that small. But truthfully, who knows! Any other information you've been withholding?

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Yes I would say leaf hopper now that we know it hops.