Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White specked pattern on outdoor plants

Posted by linziburns none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 14:44

Almost every plant in my garden (Southern UK) is covered with a spreading white pattern. No evidence of insect actitity such as spider mites, whitefly, aphids, etc.

Definitely not powdery mildew and affects only the upper area of the leaf.

I thought at first that the pattern was part of the plant, however it has spread onto most other plants now.

Will attempt to upload some photos, any help appreciated!

Image link: White specked pattern on outdoor plants (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White specked pattern on outdoor plants

Since many different species are having the same experience, I would wonder if it is a non-parasitic problem. Has your yard been exposed to any kind of polution, foliar fertilization or spraying?
hortster

o

Looks rather like stink bug damage.

Please list the specific plants with damage. And it would be helpful to post more images.

o

Might even be thrip damage. Hard to say.

o

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! I have no idea how to post more photos or how to display the current photo rather than just a link. Any help would be appreciated.

There are many plants in my garden that I have no idea what they are, however the ones I can name are: foxglove, cat mint, rose, clover, oxalis, sage, majoram, oregano, morning glory.

o
White specked pattern on outdoor plants

Sorry Horster, no pollution or spraying in the garden.

I've included a link to the photos I've taken on various plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: my plant disease photos

o
diseased plants

Sorry Horster, no pollution or spraying in the garden.

Have inlcuded a link below containing pictures of the various plants that are affected.

Here is a link that might be useful: my plant disease photos

o

What has your air quality been over the past month or more?

o

I think I may have found the culprit, a small insect of about 3mm long that looks like a mini grasshopper. It's pale and has a camoflage-like pattern. The small ones hop, the full grown ones fly, anyone have any ideas what this could be? Sorry no photos, my camera isn't sophisticated enough to take pictures of something this small.

o

Leaf hoppers, more than likely. A very common pest that can be found on a wide variety of plants. At least, that's my best guess from your recent description.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here