Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kudzu bugs

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 14:46

Who's seeing these? I was wondering what the 'new' critters were that I'm seeing on allllll kinds of plants. "They" are concerned about soybeans but I suspect there are oh so many ornamentals they've been dining on. Now that I realize what they are, I'll observe what I can...

This sounds promising.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 14:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kudzu bugs

Purple, I haven't seen them myself, though I have no doubt that they are here....probably in abundance. Your post triggered a little search (very little) and I came across kudzubug.org. Have you seen it? I had NO idea how interesting these little pests are!

Anyway, on that site you can sign up to be a reporter of observations. They want homeowner information as well as farmer reports. I think that you should participate; I know that I would if I started seeing these insects.

Soybeans are one of the cash crops around here.

o

I had NO idea how interesting these little pests are!

==>>> speak for yourself rhiz ... lol

ken

o

I would like to help but don't know what to report except that I've seen them, adults and empty cocoons. These things are easy to spot on porch plants. I have at least 200 species within a few feet of each other, and there's always stuff going wrong with various leaves, here'n'there. I usually never know what if it's a bug I can't find. Don't know that I have much to report under these conditions but I will take some pics and let it be known that they are in the middle of town in Opp.

The host plants for which the form asks for info are soy, kudzu and Wisteria. If I can determine these bugs doing something to other particular plants, I can report other hosts I guess, none of these 3 on the porch, or within eyesight. Don't know if that matters either, with a flying bug.

I need to look at more pics of eggs and nymphs, then my plants.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 14:36

o

So, the 'house plants' are back in the house & so are kudzu bugs. This isn't a "I'll get into it next spring thing."

Having a hang-out on Hoya.

o

I'm pretty sure this is an empty cocoon on Philodendron scandens (heart-leaf vine.)

o

To file a report, click. Pics required.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here