Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry disease?

Posted by Boeks none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 15:04

I've only recently planted these strawberry plants and already they have these brown patches on the leaves. The leaves seem to go brown from the edges and increase in size till the leaf dies.

Is this a fungus?

Any help will be great!! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry disease?

they are bare root???

if yes.. they were dug.. and held in a refrigerated warehouse.. until shipped for selling to you ...

it is common ... part of the digging up.. the warehousing.. the shipping.. the transplanting ...

life is all down there in the immature leaves ... these overly mature leaves have done their job.. and will soon be over grown by the new leaves ...

once the plant settles in .. and starts growing.. you could probably cut them off ... if you are that concerned about them ..

ken

o

What are they planted in?

o

i presumed they were just a rubber-banded group of 25 .. awaiting planting..

like i get mail ordered.. or from the local nursery ...

still in their plastic bag, on the counter ...

ken

o

Poster said that they were recently planted. I was wondering if this was a grow bag of some sort. Hopefully, some clarification will be forthcoming. :-)

o

The plants were bought from the local nursery and came each in their own pot. They told me I could just make holes in a bag of compost and just plant. I thought that would be a bit concentrated?, but being still a rookie gardener, I did just that. Could this be the prob?

o

those are old leaves .. the ones that wintered over ..

as it gets settled in .. and the crowns start to grow.. just snip the ugly ones off ..

the only problem i see.. is a nervous newbie.. looking for problems ....

look inside .. and find the baby leaves.. i bet they are un-scarred .. and lush .. i think i see them in the pic .... under the old leaves ...

ken

o

I'd be very surprised if strawberries would be happy growing in a plastic bag of compost.

o

I'd be very surprised if strawberries would be happy growing in a plastic bag of compost.

o

Haha! I do seem to look for the problems....and sometimes forget to enjoy the fun of the challenge of growing your own food!

@ken, you're right....the new growth is in perfect condition!
@rhizo, a few of the plants are doing ok, but 1 looks like it's gonna die. Gonna plant them in a mixture of compost next time and not only compost.

Thanks for the help, but still got alot of other questions about other things and will post under relative topics!

o

every leaf is a food making machine.. so we hesitate to cut them off at transplant ...

but once the new leaves start growing with vigor... meaning the roots are established..

i would cut off the damaged leaves.. S's are prone to mildew/molds/etc .. and a damaged leaf.. may encourage such ... so clean it up.. before fruit sets ...

there is a fruit forum ... you might get some specific fruit advice there ... if you wish ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here