Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this - larvae?

Posted by ltguidetti 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 15:59

I found this when digging to plant mums this afternoon. It wiggles. A friend said she thought it might be a giant cicada killer larvae, or maybe a european hornet larvae.... We did have european hornets a few years ago, but they were in our chimney. Any ideas??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this - larvae?

It's the pupal case of a caterpillar. Put it in a container with a breathable lid then set on the counter to wait until the moth emerges.

When that occurs, post a picture so that we can refine the ID.

o

It's really large. Size of my Thumb, about 3" long, and about an inch across. Hard shell. That's an awfully huge caterpillar!

o

Jean, I'm not inclined to think of this as as moth pupae but the wriggling larvae of a soldier fly.

Absolutely not anything belonging to a wasp of any kind, poster.

o

It does look like the soldier fly larva, but it's 3x as long... 3" long...

o

Three inches long and an inch across!

o

Rear it out as I suggested above. then please post an image of what emerges.

o

Yes! 3" long.

I did put it in a jar. So hopefully we'll know before too long.

o

I found this information.... passing it along....

it is a manduca quiquemaculatus moth.... also known as a tomato horn worm.....

o

Fun when an old thread like this is revived. Cmwtx, I don't think that this was one of the Manduca pupa. Those have a very distinct 'handle' at the top,
very long and hooked, called a maxillary loop. Of course, this picture could be taken at angle that hides the hook. They are typically much smaller than the OP described.

The largest moth pupae that I've seen were those of the Giant Leopard moth and the Regal moth. Both have pupal cases that seem to match.

Nice image of a Tomato hornworn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here