Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltguidetti

What is this - larvae?

ltguidetti
11 years ago

I found this when digging to plant mums this afternoon. It wiggles. A friend said she thought it might be a giant cicada killer larvae, or maybe a european hornet larvae.... We did have european hornets a few years ago, but they were in our chimney. Any ideas??

Comments (9)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

It's the pupal case of a caterpillar. Put it in a container with a breathable lid then set on the counter to wait until the moth emerges.

When that occurs, post a picture so that we can refine the ID.

• ltguidetti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's really large. Size of my Thumb, about 3" long, and about an inch across. Hard shell. That's an awfully huge caterpillar!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Jean, I'm not inclined to think of this as as moth pupae but the wriggling larvae of a soldier fly.

Absolutely not anything belonging to a wasp of any kind, poster.

• ltguidetti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does look like the soldier fly larva, but it's 3x as long... 3" long...

11 years ago

Three inches long and an inch across!

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Rear it out as I suggested above. then please post an image of what emerges.

• ltguidetti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes! 3" long.

I did put it in a jar. So hopefully we'll know before too long.

• cmwtx
    9 years ago

I found this information.... passing it along....

it is a manduca quiquemaculatus moth.... also known as a tomato horn worm.....

9 years ago

Fun when an old thread like this is revived. Cmwtx, I don't think that this was one of the Manduca pupa. Those have a very distinct 'handle' at the top,
    very long and hooked, called a maxillary loop. Of course, this picture could be taken at angle that hides the hook. They are typically much smaller than the OP described.

The largest moth pupae that I've seen were those of the Giant Leopard moth and the Regal moth. Both have pupal cases that seem to match.

Nice image of a Tomato hornworn.