Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very small black eggs?

Posted by jeannies_garden Texas 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 16:08

These are all over several potted plants I have on a huge table that's in my breezeway. They are mostly on the leaves (top and under) of blood lilies. The are also all inside of the top of the pot where there is no soil. They are on my spiral ginger, bromeliads, iris and a few other plants. They are also on a small pink flamingo (turns in the wind) made of wood. They do not smash and leave green on my fingers, so I'm thinking it's not poop, and they are smaller than a pin head. They come off really easy and on the iris, it leaves a light green circle where it was. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks, Jeannie :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very small black eggs?

looks like poop to me...

smear one.. yeah i know.. yuck.. on white paper.. is it actually green??

look harder for the culprit.. cant be all that small with that coming out its back end ..

ken

o

Tried the paper smear and the first one just flattened, the second one rolled up and the third one did leave a mark but it left a little brown mark. Had to really press on the last one. If it's bug poop, no problem, I'm just hoping they are not eggs from a bad bug. Thanks, Jeannie :)

o

Are there chewed leaves also?

o

It looks and sounds like the little spore packets thrown by an artillery fungus. These tiny fruiting bodies can be very difficult to locate because they often erupt from older wood. I don't mean just old tree stumps, but firewood, older building materials that are exposed to the elements, etc. I've seen artillery fungi erupt from the window frames of an older shed.....the spore packets were all over everything within shooting range.

It really doesn't sound like insect frass nor eggs, to me. Not after hearing all of your 'evidence'. I'll be curious as to your thoughts about my theory.

o

No chewed leaves that I noticed. Could it be from the pink flamingo? I have had it for years stuck in one pot or another. I have noticed that recently the wood had seperated. If it is these spores, is it bad for the plants? I watered the plants with the garden hose yesterday and some of the ones on the leaves came off easily, but I noticed the ones on side of the pot didn't come off just by watering. Thanks, Jeannie :)

o

Here's a picture of the pink flamingo amongst all the potted plants. The majority of the black things, whatever they are, were mostly to the right side (behind him). Thanks, Jeannie :)

o

Are those regular moss roses or native Portulaca pilosa in the pot with the flamingo?

Just scrolled up to remind myself what plant these are on and noticed that Rhizo mentioned artillery fungus spores. Have you checked the surface of those pots for this stuff?

That makes me wonder if you have anything with explosive seed pods there, but the seeds would have to be somewhat sticky...

Ok now remember you saw this on a bunch of different plants, so not really possible to google a particular plant to see what critters it is known to host...

o

Those are the mini moss rose plants. Thier black seeds are very tiny. Thanks, Jeannie :)

o

Bet those are cute when flowering. Regret not picking up a pack of seeds I saw this spring. It's been decades since I had some moss roses.

Do you see any of the native one I mentioned (Portulaca pilosa) in your area, maybe in cracks in the pavement, side of the road? They have tiny shocking pink flowers, just smaller than a pencil eraser.

Wondering if you have any plants there with exploding seed pods? Don't know why the seeds would stick to the leaves if you did...

Can't tell from your pic if these things on your plant are uniform in size or not. That would be a good clue leading away from or toward artillery fungus, a suggestion that seems to be being overlooked, or least not acknowledged, so not sure what your thoughts are about that.

o

I'm still not sure what it is. I've read all about the artillery fungus and saw the video, but still not 100% sure that's what it is. It's only on some of the plants on the table and now that I'm watching it closer, there's a few new ones on a few other plants. If it were the artillery fungus, then I think I would find them on the window and on some of the plants that are nearby on the ground.

As for the portulaca, my mom gave me plants years ago (atleast 31 years ago) and I'm the only one in the family that still has them. I use them as a ground cover in the beds that gets too much sun. The seeds from them are smaller than these black things I first posted about, but now comparing them, they look alot alike, just twice as big as the mini moss rose seeds. Maybe they are some sort of seed. They come off very easily when I rub my finger against them (the ones on the inside of the pot where there's no soil), so that's why I'm not sure it's the artillery fungus. Who knows. Thanks, Jeannie :)

o

Here's a picture of the mini moss rose plant as a ground cover that I have a bed bordered with. Thanks, Jeannie :)

o

Wow that's a long time to have a plant! Are they perennials there? I've never investigated that since I haven't had any since moving to AL from OH, where they are definitely not. Do they bloom sporadically or is there a specific time for them to bloom once? It's been a long time since I had these for just one or two various summers in a pot.

I'm wondering if there's artillery fungus just starting in one of the pots in your group. Have you checked the soil in those for the little bird-nest looking things?

o

I've always had a greenhouse so it's always in some of the potted plants and it seeds up so easily. I have other plants that I started out with years ago that I still have. One is the maple leaf begonia (also got from my mom), another is the 4 o'clock and I still have a schefflera plant my husband (of almost 32 yrs) had from his grandmother. I love plants and have way too many, but I also love propagating, so I always have more when the fall comes and I always need a bigger greenhouse :) My oldest son just came over and I sent him home with 6 different shade plants. Thanks, Jeannie :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here