Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Gardenia Problem

I love Gardenias but I seem to be having an issue with this plant. It is developing a white material on the leaves. It is NOT mealy bug; I know all too well what mealy looks like. The leaves are turning a mottled yellow color and falling off. I know it is normal for older leaves to yellow, die and drop off. I haven't clue, so any assistance is welcome.

Having said all of this, I know I may have posted on the wrong forum.

Thanks,
Howard

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Gardenias have a tendency to shed leaves here and there throughout the body of the plant. It's worrisome to those not familiar with that habit, but it is normal.

Though it's difficult to tell too much from your image, I see a couple of objects that look very much like young Wax scale, perhaps Japanese Wax scale insects. Did you recently buy these plants from a southern source, within the last several months? Or is it in close proximity to other plants that may be infested?

Where do you keep this plant?

If those little white things are not what you're talking about, can we see some more pictures?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rhizo, thanks. I think it might be Florida wax scale. I purchased about two months ago through Amazon via a nursery in Mississippi. It looks like imidacloprid should work.

9 years ago

Contact the nursery immediately and report the problem. Not for any hope of a refund but to let them know. Did your plant come with an inspection certification? Any nursery that send out plants with pests like that could be put out of business.

If you call them (I hope you do....it's the responsible thing.) be sure to let them know that wax scales are not found in your part of the country. They need to take action; perhaps close down for a while until the scale are gone.

Be sure that your pesticide is labeled for container use and labeled for indoors.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Again, thanks so much Rhizo for your assistance. Normally, I primarily post to the cactus and succulent forum on GW.

I did call them early this morning and informed them of my situation. They were apologetic and would look into the situation.

I've treated the plant with imidacloprid granules and sprayed with Ortho Orthenex (Acephate) and will retreat in 10 days.

• Grandy4
    9 years ago

I've not seen this on my Gardenia but on other plants, I use a mixture of 1 tsp Dawn soap to a gallon of water and spray the infested section of the plant in the late afternoon, let set over night. Hose off before the sun gets hot in summer but leave on in winter. Works for me in FL. I was told that if you get a grafted Gardenia the less problems you will have, maybe that's why I haven't gotten any bugs or disease on mine but do on other plants????

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Perhaps this other thread is a continuation of the same inquiry?
    see the link below --

Here is a link that might be useful: same plant?

9 years ago

Jean, that's the yellowing that bikedoc was referring to. A gardenia will shed leaves throughout the body of the plant ; those leaves will begin to abscise first, shutting off back and forth flow of the vascular system before the leaves actually fall. The yellowing is a normal side effect of a perfectly normal occurance.

It never fails to cause alarm.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

On the other thread, folks are suggesting that the yellowing is an iron deficiency.

Not so. That pattern of yellowing is *not* the correct for low iron.