Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white spots on all plants (see photo)

Posted by immobilus Tucson, AZ (9a) (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 16:38

I live in Tucson, AZ, obviously a very dry climate. In late April this year, late to be planting in our climate, I planted two seven foot crape myrtles that I purchased from Lowes. In or around June, I noticed white dots on the stem of the tree and branches (not leaves). Since then, the white dots have travelled to every plant in my yard, all my photinias, my bougainvillea, my buddleia, even my texas sage.

I've tried to identify it so i know how to cure it. I've thought mealy bugs, but they don't appear to be insects (they don't move, they pop up in different places but don't appear to travel themselves). The picture you're looking at is of a Bougainvillea I pulled out of the ground because it was not doing well and potted to restablish its roots. It's the most recent plant to catch it. Ignore the leaves, which are brittle because it's still recovering, but look at the dots on the stems.

I tried sauteeing garlic in olive oil with a little cayenne pepper, mixed the oil with dish soap and sprayed and the infection seemed to abate. I've since started using a neem oil solution, but they keep seeming to spread.

What is it and how do I get rid of it? (I kind of ruled out mold because our climate is so dry, but I could be wrong.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white spots on all plants (see photo)

i cant focus on the spots on your pic..

but if they dont move.. and they are a bug.. then look at scale ..

try to pick one off ... is it bug or not???

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here